Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sell your projects at? >

Where do you sell your projects at?

Where do you sell your projects at?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM

If you don't make it for yourself or as a gift, have you ever sold any of your work? If so, where do you sell your items at? eBay? local flea market? If I had TIME to make what I want to make, I'd sell at both.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM

In regard to selling your quilts on ebay, I will reference another thread in this forum ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/889.page ) discussing the fact that many people do not value a quilt as much as quilters do, because the same is true of the quilts sold on ebay. If you sell one there, you will get nothing close to what it is worth, and too many times I have wondered if the seller even covered their actual cost to make the quilt.

In answer to your question, I usually only sell on a commissioned (pre-ordered) basis, with half up front. In the past year or so I've been selling only my quilting services, which I prefer. (I like to quilt more than I like to piece.) One advantage to this is if you get "stuck" with a quilt because the customer changed their mind, you get a quilt out of the deal. You can then either sell it, or keep it. (I make them sign an agreement to this up front.) I have gotten 3 quilts over the past 2 years; 1 of them was because the Dear Lady passed away & her family didn't want the quilt, and the other 2 were from the same person who moved a thousand miles away. She said she forgot about them, and didn't have the money to pay me the balance. I offered to hold them for her & she could pay it off as she could over time. She said ok; that was a year and a half ago. They're still in my sewing room, waiting for her to return. I honestly think, & thought it at the time as well, that having them quilted was a novelty idea to her, more than a true desire to have them completed. (She didn't make them and she had been storing them in the attic. Again, I refer to the other thread.)

Sorry to go on & on, but my point is there is money to be made at times, but there are pitfalls as well, as with anything I guess. :)
Old 04-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Carla~
Quilts on eBay, full size...no they probably wouldn't sell for the best price. I listed one for my MIL once, and we got no bids. I have seen some baby quilts go pretty good, though.
BUT...other projects, like the quilted purses seem to do exceptionally well on there.
I am familiar with the other thread you posted the link to.
That's all for now. :D
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM

WOW! Well, if that's the case, go for it!! Best of luck to you!!

p.s.- I LOVE that picture!!! She is TOO cute!!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Miranda, I have made it a living to quilt and sell my items. But its hard work, and my kids are grown. I sew about 12-14 hour days to keep up with everything now and I do a craft market every weekend with some thrown in between every once in awhile. So travel is a consideration too. I have a great following of regular customers that purchase from me all the time. (I would love to see some of their houses!)
You can also check out my ebay store to see the types of items I sell. I do bigger quilts on a special order basis and get 3-5 every Christmas season. I am meeting a customer tomorrow to start a queen size for her. We're picking out the colors.
Well, I've rambled on, but if you have any questions, just let me know.

Tricia
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM

Miranda,

I am still considering the flea market that is opening this weekend, I would LOVE to get more stuff made. You definitely have to advertise. I finally made ME a raggedy purse, rather than giving it away, like the others lol, and everywhere I go, I get orders for them or people are like wow when you make more, bring them back and we will buy them. I know people say that more than they intend to buy, but you will always have someone buying. I know, you cannot carry quilts or wallhangings around but hang them in your house, when you have company they will inquire about them and word will get out. This idea is a "work as you go", or get orders, you make things that people want, that way you haven't just made a quilt and put it on ebay for it to go so cheap it makes you realize that not everyone appreciates quilting...or Quilters for that matter! However, if you were really wanting to sell alot, you might opt for something a little more than advertising, such as a store or flea market, etc. I know what you mean abou time, my problem is getting things made, I LOVE sewing and quilting, but finding time to do it is the utmost awful torture. I have all of these things in my head and PIGS I want to make but no time...I cannot wait until summer gets here, maybe I will have time then. I will start carrying my mini mini's with me and tell people who made them and that you make other things and sell them, then you will have potential customers...sound like a plan? LOL :D
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 AM

Heather~
I know when I made one green/yellow purse, everyone wanted one. "You should make and sell them". Yeah. Time...
I have yet to make my rag purse. :( I will get there, eventually.

Advertising my mini minis? After everyone sees all the upclose mistakes, they will run! :lol:
Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM

Oh my goodness, what mistakes? I love them. I remember that purse you made, it was really cute, I liked it. I need to quilt and sew my sunflower one and I am working on one for a customer...then when it is completed..haha didn't say f*n*shed, I have to make one for another customer. I wish I could ask for Time as a gift..believe me I would be asking for it every holiday..lol. I will get them done, sooner or later...hopefully sooner! HA! :lol:
Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Heather do you have pictures to post of your raggedy purse. Would love to see it. :D
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM

Heather, Please post a picture of your raggy purse. Just the other day, a friend of my saw my lap rag quilt, and said, make a purse that I can purchase from you.