Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you sell your quilts, how do you know what is a fair market price??

I was looking at a local website, and the prices people have for nice
    looking antique quilts is $30. One person has the following listed for brand new, made to order quilts:

Wall Hangings-25.00
    Baby Quilts-25.00
    Toddler Quilts-28.00
    Twin Quilt-35.00
    Queen Quilt-55.00
    King Quilt-75.00
    California King-100.00

I spend more than that on fabric!!! How do you make a profit selling these commercially? I don't sell my quilts, but if I did, I guess no one would buy, because my prices would be off the charts compared to that!! Right now I am doing a big mariner's compass/multiple sized stars/nighttime kind of quilt. NO WAY would I sell for 55-75. Even if the fabric was free, I would be making less than minimum wage. Please explain to me why someone sells their work so cheaply.

This post isn't intended to insult anyone that does sell their quilts at a low price. I think we are artists and our time and art should be appreciated.

I am making three quilts for a friend of mine. I have already made a wall hanging for her. I have her buy the fabric so she knows how expensive fabric can be. Then I charge for my time separately. She knows how time consuming quilting can be so she makes me charge her top dollar.

boy, that is cheap. My daughter who manages a tourist craft store during the summer say she can sell my jean rag quilts, lap size, for $150.00 easy. Especially if the tag states that it is homemade locally. I have seen twin size, beautifully done quilts by locals sell for $250.00 - 400.00, and they do sell.

I agree that the above prices are way too low. A friend and I were talking about this just yesterday. I just finished a 55 x 70 quilt. In fabric, alone, I'd spent $70. If you had it quilted (at an LQS) on a long-arm machine, it would've cost $90 to quilt with an edge-to-edge meandering design, and to bind it. So, factor in my labor (say, 8 hours to piece it, total). That's another $50 - $80, depending on the complexity of the block.

Bottom line, at twin size quilt would cost $210 - $240 in material and labor at base price.

Banned
    those prices are crazy low. i would never do work for that price.

if i'm selling quilts to friends the price is actual cost plus the price of a quilting book or pattern.

when i'm selling quilts to other people my starting price is $300 for a wall hanging and it goes up from there depending on how much work i put into the project.

are you sure that isn't for the finishing machine quilting? I used to send my tops and backs out to have quilted, and it cost me 35 for a full size and she supplied the batting (poly, of course). If you wanted to send your own batting you could and she also had other that you could purchase from her. I had a queen done and it was only $55.

Maybe what you saw was the quilting, not the construction price????

Barb

I would multiply those prices by 4 or 5.

I like to get paid $15 per hour. Obviously, I can't do that very often in quiltmaking, but my time and skill are worth money, just like that of a plumber, teacher, musician, secretary or any other person.

And it's not even that all my work is "art" - some is, of course, but really a lot of quilting or sewing is not creative. It's skilled labor, and it's something that not many people can do.

Here is a link to the ad, and I will copy/paste the text too. Doesn't sound like they are just offering to machine quilt it to me.

http://www.golsn.com/listings/genera...se/695192.html

"Cant sew or just dont have the time to make a quilt but would like one. I can make wall hangings, baby quilts, quilts. I can also make quilts special occasion quilts. ST. Pattys day is coming up and if you want a special quilt or baby quilt or wall hanging I will do it at great prices for you.
    Wall Hangings-25.00
    Baby Quilts-25.00
    Toddler Quilts-28.00
    Twin Quilt-35.00
    Queen Quilt-55.00
    King Quilt-75.00
    California King/Empoerer-100.00
    The quilt in the picture that my daughter is sitting on i made for her, if you want to see more ill send you pics. "

I don't even think that baby quilt is quilted, and am not sure that it is even tied ... if the batting is polyesther, high- loft batting, that isn't what most of us put into our quilts ... but, the prices are way too low for what most of the quilters on this list do.
    I spied the crocheted afghan in the background, and I am guessing that our friend is so happy to be creating, she hasn't yet begun to understand "capitalism" ..

Hmmm....could it be that you supply the materials and she does the sewing? That isn't specified.

Barb

Have you checked to see what else she is selling? OMG!!
    She has a horse she is "selling". Says she'll trade for chickens or a saddle..."first person with a 100.00 gets him hes nice horse loves kids hes the brown one will trade for chickens or western saddle pigs just make an offer i need him gone".
    She really doesn't sound like a person I would want to do business with.

check the prices of Amish quilts at theoldcountrystore.com

Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    check the prices of Amish quilts at theoldcountrystore.com
    I don't think you can really compare the Amish quilts to what this lady is selling.

Blog Entries
    Looks like maybe a panel just layered and bound. This maybe just a person who needs to make a little money...really badly needs money. I would be highly insulted if someone offered me these prices for any of my quilts....but....to each his own. I've seen some quilts that if someone paid those prices for...they would have overpaid also :roll:

I'm thinking for the types of quilts that most on this board do...the prices would be 4/5 times that....and would be a bargain :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Looks like maybe a panel just layered and bound. This maybe just a person who needs to make a little money...really badly needs money. I would be highly insulted if someone offered me these prices for any of my quilts....but....to each his own. I've seen some quilts that if someone paid those prices for...they would have overpaid also :roll:

I'm thinking for the types of quilts that most on this board do...the prices would be 4/5 times that....and would be a bargain :wink:
    Especially if it were a Chicken Quilt. :) :) :)

The Amish quilts are beautiful but you can be sure that they didn't pay the Amish those kinds of prices for their quilts. We had a fabric shop here run by the Mennonites and they sold their quilts from $250-$400.

The first item I ever sold was a 36x45 wall hanging.. I do it all by hand. No machine.. I got $250. for it.. that was in the late 80's. The purple star lap quilt in my pics is sold to a dear friend for the same price...but ONLY because it is a friend. I think you have to price your quilts according to your skill level, your time and the cost of your materials. I quilt for my pleasure and not for a business.. so that's my "free" time I'm selling as I work full time. That time does not come cheap. And I only use 1st quality materials.
    I have seen queen sized hand pieced and quilted quilts go for $1,500. at the Mutton Hollow Quilt shop in Branson, Missouri.. it was pretty nice, and I saw a toe hanger go for around $800. for a double size.

a "toe hanger?" Is that what I think it is?

:D :D :D

I would go to www.etsy.com and look and see what prices are for something comparable. I saw one terrific art quilt on there for some big bucks, I think $15,000??

As the owner of a retail store, I can tell you to remember that your price has to be set on what your market will bear. Never, ever, ever be afraid to price something for what it is worth to you. I tend to set prices on what I would be willing to pay.

Blog Entries
    At first, I though maybe it was a site selling those cheap, imported , slave labor quilts from China. Now I agree with Terri. The poor woman sounds a little nuts. Unless you 'trade' your money in person, I wonder if you would really receive the quilt? I don't usually mistrust people this much, but it sounds pretty whacky - - -

A toe hanger is a quilt that is hand quilted, but the stitches are so long that you can get your toe hung in them.... actually look basted, not quilted.
    I belonged to a very small guild (only around 10-12 ladies) and we went on a "field trip" to Branson. We were examining some of the quilts and even though we were speaking softly among ourselves, we were asked to leave when our comments got a touch critical. Like pointing out that the quilts marked "hand made" were in fact stitched on machine.
    We were told that people ran the machines by hand not automated and that made them "hand made". Sales clerk should not have been evesdropping, I guess.. there were other quilts there that we had been quite complimentary about..

Loretta I am in Ohio near Plain City where the store was and this was a long time ago. The store closed about 10 years ago. So I know since fabric has gone up so have quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    A toe hanger is a quilt that is hand quilted, but the stitches are so long that you can get your toe hung in them.... actually look basted, not quilted.
    I belonged to a very small guild (only around 10-12 ladies) and we went on a "field trip" to Branson. We were examining some of the quilts and even though we were speaking softly among ourselves, we were asked to leave when our comments got a touch critical. Like pointing out that the quilts marked "hand made" were in fact stitched on machine.
    We were told that people ran the machines by hand not automated and that made them "hand made". Sales clerk should not have been evesdropping, I guess.. there were other quilts there that we had been quite complimentary about..
    Either way..you were customers and you are entitled to your opinions. :?

Fair market price for my quilts?

Sorry, you can't afford it.

*L*

tim in san jose

Well, handmade doesn't necessarily mean hand-pieced and hand-quilted. It means you made it with your own hands even if you used a sewing machine.

Tippy, I have heard the phrase "toenail catcher" used for those quilts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast