Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much should I sell the quilt for that I put in the county fair?

Blog Entries
    Ok, All you guys that have seen the quilt I put in the county fair, I need your input. Someone wants to buy it. What kind of price tag do you think I should put on it? I know it's hard to tell without really seeing the quilt itself but I need opinions with just a general idea on how to price it.

How many hours do you have in it?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm have no idea how much would be "fair" but I do know the price will never really be enough for something that beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Gosh, I have no idea. I would work on it and lay it down, think of something else and go again. All in all probably at least 100 hours. I know I'll never get enough to pay by the hour does anybody who hand quilts? But, I'm sure I have put in at least that.

I have no clue what to put on it for a price.
    It sure is beautiful!
    I am doing on...posted a picture of it and charged them $100 for making it and then the price of my fabric/batting.
    If I were selling yours, I'd probably put at least $500 to it at the minimum........

Blog Entries
    That is kinda the price I had in mind. I had someone say at least 800. but this is a small rural town where a lot of people quilt. I guess it just depends on how much someone is willing to pay for it. I hate to start too high and not sell it but I hate to start too low when I could get more. Aybody else got any ideas?

I've seen the hand quilted quilts go for anywhere from $700 to $1000 and up. It's easily worth that.

Blog Entries
    I'd be tickled pink if I could sell it for that kind of money. I had thought 800 but was afraid I'd scare someone off. It would almost tempt me into going into mass production! :lol:

I would start at $750, unless it won a ribbon at the fair. If it won a ribbon, especially the blue ribbon, I'd start at $1,000. You can always negotiate it down, if you really want to sell it badly enough. Just don't make your work too cheap. Even at $1,000, you're only making $10 an hour.

Blog Entries
    The price should be the amount you would pay to buy the same quilt. I sell items for the price I know I'd be willing to pay someone for them.

I just looked at your quilt, absolutely fabulous :lol: :lol: :lol: In my opinion
    its in the $750-$1,000 range.

I'd say at least $750/$950 -- you can always go down but it's hard to go up!! Let us know....

I know the Amish website charges $1000 plus for their quilts. I haven't seen yours but know that everybody's I've seen on here has been great. Maybe if you look there at www.amishcountrylanes.com you might get an idea of pricing. Just a suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I will let you know how it does in the fair. You have given me a good idea of how to price it. If I can't get that for it I will just keep it. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'd start at $950 because it's hand quilted... I have machine quilted ones I'd sell for $700-$800.

Oh, do you really want to sell that quilt? It's so pretty. I would hate for you to sell it and then later regret it.

But if you are going to, please don't go too low. (And ask a lot more if it takes a ribbon!!!) That quilt is completely original, which makes it art in my book, and there is no reason for you to work for less than minimum wage. If you wanted to make minimum wage, you could go work at Walmart or McDonalds and keep your beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I'd say at least $750/$950 -- you can always go down but it's hard to go up!! Let us know....
    I would say the same thing that sewjoyce wrote.
    My Mom always tells me that you can't put a price
    on quilt work, like that. It's mostly a Labor of Love!!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Do you have a local quilt appraiser? I would have it appraised before I made a rash decision on the price. We always UNDERPRICE our work so it is good to know what the value of it is. I have several of my quilts appraised and I'm always amazed at their "replacement value" (for insurance purposes-which is a higher appraisal than a market value appraisal). Don't under price it!! I know it took a lot of work and your original design makes it a little more valuable.

Blog Entries
    We don't have a quilt appraiser anywhere close by that I know of. I think Iwill probably just hang on to it unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. On the other hand I could certainly price it at a thousand and see who is serious about buying it. But I won't even put a price on it until after the four states fair. Thank you all for your input and your compliments. They mean a lot to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    We don't have a quilt appraiser anywhere close by that I know of. I think Iwill probably just hang on to it unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. On the other hand I could certainly price it at a thousand and see who is serious about buying it. But I won't even put a price on it until after the four states fair. Thank you all for your input and your compliments. They mean a lot to me.
    I'm glad you've decided to keep it. Is it one that won a ribbon? I know we all think it SHOULD have!!! anyway, if you sell it, you'll always think you should have asked for more $, and you'll always wish you had kept it!

if this is something you want to do, selling hand-made quilts, you have to start somewhere. you have to sell that first quilt, right?

i didn't see a size, but that beautiful hand quilting is remarkable. the design is original. i would honestly tell them that if it wins a ribbon, the price will be $950.00. sounds less than $1000.00 right? if not, than $$800.00.

see what the reaction is, i agree that you can always come down, but if she buys it, that's where your reputation comes from. and your price range is established.

try to sound firm when you tell her. if you waver, she'll know you're undecided on price and argue with you.

you can also tell her that she must leave a deposit, but part of the agreement is that you get to show it at the 4-state fair. if it wins that, she got a bargain.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the others...I wouldn't let it go for less than $950-$1000 myself...I have seen lots of quilts priced way more than that and they are nowhere near as spectacular as yours...and they didn't win any ribbons either.

Now...alll the comments are being said not knowing if you "have to have" the money...I'm assuming you don't, but it would be nice to have it to buy more fabric.

Can you start at $800. and drop down in price if you get no offers?

That quilt is worth more than $1000. You should talk to the person who offered to buy it and ask her what she was thinking. If she's thinking a couple-few hundred, you can politely thank her and tell her that the market for hand-made quilts is usually in excess of $800, and that this particular quilt is a higher end. I saw it and thought it would be worth something like $1800 or so...

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for all the helpful comments. You have boosted my moral for sure. I will hang on to it for a while anyway and put in the more fairs. I will keep you posted if it wins anymore ribbons and if I do decide to sell it and what it brings.