Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do?? >

What should I do??

What should I do??

Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Yesterday I posted a question about the Pfaff Ambition 1.5. These responses to your post have been very helpful to me. As a result, I'm feeling even more comfortable with my decision to purchase the 1.5. It offers most of what I want ... especially the larger harp area. I am not intimidated by the computerization so I should be able to "bond" fairly quickly. Just need to find out how many accessories I need to purchase and at what cost ...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM

It never fails to amaze me how some men think we are frivolous when we buy a new machine but if they have a work shop and there is a tool that will make it easier for them, it becames a necessity. Go figure. My mother-in-law once told my husband that he was so lucky to have a wife that sewed clothes for the kids, that I saved him thousands of dollars. Bless her heart, he never forgot that. Hugs
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM

If you like the machine, keep it. If not, try to return it, or sell it and move on. I have a wonderful husband. We usually consult each other before we make more expensive purchases. I told him I was going to buy a KitchenAid mixer. His reply, "Why? You don't cook that much!". You can imagine my reply. I try not to swear, but the air turned a little blue, when I said, "Because I want the !!! !!!! !!!!ing mixer that's why!" What a surprise at Christmas when I got the !!! !!!! !!!!ing mixer! We laugh about it now, and the mixer has a name, but I still don't fuss about the hunting equipment, the computer stuff, or camera stuff.
PS He has learned that I use the mixer a lot!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM

"I think my biggest issue is I'm scared to use it for fear of breaking it."

You won't break it. I have 2 Pfaff machines and love them both. One is almost 20 yrs old (Creative 1475CD)and it does almost everything but wash the dishes. The other (Tiptronic 2040) is almost great and I like the sloped front of the machine bed which makes it very comfortable for your hands. Once you go through the basic instructions of all its features you will love them. Love the built-in "walking" foot feature.

Both of these were made in Germany. Excellent workmanship.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM

I would just store it tell you need one . When that day come you may not have the money to get it. I just got one took me a long time to get it so hold on to what you got
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Never get rid of a sewing machine unless it is shaking you out of bed in the middle of the night.

Somewhere along the line, you'll wish you had it handy.
I so agree with this. I gave a wonderful straight-sew machine away, and also sold a Viking, and I have so many times wished I had kept those machines! I had just purchased my first combo embroidery machine, a Babylock Esante, some 10 years ago, and while I love Babylock machines and have upgraded from the Esante since then, , my thought was "Who needs more than one machine?" Silly me!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Didn't it come with a nice instruction manual.......take it page by page and go for it. If a machine is going to be that easy to break I wouldn't want it either......btw I have 6 vintage machines and just bought a brand new Janome. Love it and it has 3 modes of stitches including monogram and it will sew anything! So that makes seven and I intend to build a shelf for the others......lol!

Last edited by lfw045; 12-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM

You might want to keep at it. I have a friend who has had a variety of machines, pfaff, brother , Viking. She got a pfaff ambition and loved it so much she actually got a SECOND one, so if they ever stopped making it, and she wore out the one she has, she would have another one. Now, I'm sure everyone has their favorite machine, but if someone could love a machine this much, you might want to give it just a bit more time!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Why not keep one of the older ones and the new one and sell the others. Start using your new one and keep the older one as back up and to take to classes etc..
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM

I hear the older 730 Bernina is a real workhorse. I know people who would almost rather give up a child than their old 730.