Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I do with this? >

What should I do with this?

What should I do with this?

Old 03-08-2015, 06:31 AM

Default What should I do with this?

I have my moms sewing box but the box is cracked and broken. Need to get the pincushions, spools of thread and all of the other various things out. I would like to have them where I can see them, as mom has been gone since 2002 and this stuff has good memories for me. We had little in common but my crafting and her sewing box so that makes it even more special. Any ideas for what I can do with all of this? I was thinking of a wall quilt, embellished with her seeing things but not sure. What do YOU think???? Thank you for your ideas!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:36 AM

Without knowing what kind of things you have how about a wreath maybe a grapevine wreath embellished with all her sewing things. That would be a combination og both your crafts and her sewing.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 AM

I think that's a wonderful idea. I'm sure you can think of clever ways to attach them. You could also buy a shadow box frame - they sell them at Micheal's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.
We have a few of my DH grandmother's kitchen tools - her rolling pin, wooden spoons, grater, etc. I got a small slat wood box that looks like an old fruit crate - used small gauge wire and wired the items onto the bottom, and hung it on the wall in my kitchen. Like you, i couldn't see the point of having them tucked away in a drawer somewhere.
I'm sure you will get lots of good ideas from the folks here. Good luck - and please share a picture of your final project.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Without knowing what kind of things you have how about a wreath maybe a grapevine wreath embellished with all her sewing things. That would be a combination og both your crafts and her sewing.
i love this idea donna
Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

This is funny that you are talking about your mom's sewing things today. I am passing on her sewing box things to my niece today along with a new janome sewing machine I bought her. She is nine and my sister is going to teach her to sew on it. She will love having her grandma's sewing things. She has always loved family and enjoyed being around us. My mom passed away before she was born, so this will be a nice surprise for her.

All that being said, what a great idea to have a nice shadow box reminder around to enjoy her memory.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I think both of these are great ideas.
Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I think that's a wonderful idea. I'm sure you can think of clever ways to attach them. You could also buy a shadow box frame - they sell them at Micheal's, Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.
We have a few of my DH grandmother's kitchen tools - her rolling pin, wooden spoons, grater, etc. I got a small slat wood box that looks like an old fruit crate - used small gauge wire and wired the items onto the bottom, and hung it on the wall in my kitchen. Like you, i couldn't see the point of having them tucked away in a drawer somewhere.
I'm sure you will get lots of good ideas from the folks here. Good luck - and please share a picture of your final project.
Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
This is funny that you are talking about your mom's sewing things today. I am passing on her sewing box things to my niece today along with a new janome sewing machine I bought her. She is nine and my sister is going to teach her to sew on it. She will love having her grandma's sewing things. She has always loved family and enjoyed being around us. My mom passed away before she was born, so this will be a nice surprise for her.

All that being said, what a great idea to have a nice shadow box reminder around to enjoy her memory.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 AM

I was traveling and came across a cute idea where a lady took a vintage bird cage and put all kinds odds and ends in there just kind of piled inside. She had a little lace (or was it a doily?) on the bottom that you could see peeking out between the items but it was cute as could be. I wish I had taken a picture but I kept wondering if I found a cute little bird cage what could I put in it to put it on display. What a conversation starter and cute, cute, cute! Maybe one of those little lanterns that are so popular right now would work the same way, especially for little things...they wouldn't scoot out if there was glass to hold them in. Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

How about a shadow box with the items arranged with fabric and pictures? The boxes come in many sizes and would look good if you had a block she completed but didn't use or a tattered quilt (obviously a small piece) she made that you could use as the backdrop.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
How about a shadow box with the items arranged with fabric and pictures? The boxes come in many sizes and would look good if you had a block she completed but didn't use or a tattered quilt (obviously a small piece) she made that you could use as the backdrop.
I agree with this idea. My DD has a shadow box of my Mother and Father's memories...antique curling iron, glasses, shaving cup & brush, to name a few. The shadow box is made by my uncle from my grandmother's drawer frames from her treadle machine with glass shelves and drawers are refinished and used for wall hanging to hold antique brass from harness.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:51 AM

I love this idea!!! Will be doing this on my own for my 3 daughters.