Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I quilt on this top? >

What should I quilt on this top?

What should I quilt on this top?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Beautiful quilt! Pretty fancy for a second quilt!!! I have no advice on quilting it, though when I did one like it....only in shades of purple, I stitched in the ditch and used a lavender thread. No help there for you, I am afraid.

Dina
Old 09-06-2015, 04:51 AM

How about a pale blue grey thread as it won't take away from the quilt pattern which I have made the placemats using this pattern, love it too. I'm finding the grey colors to work great when you can't come up with another idea. Just finished a quilt top with lots of various colors so used a medium grey and loved how it came out. Someone here suggested grey and I ran with the idea.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 AM

When you look at a quilt from a short distance, say 1-2 feet (like when you are quilting it) the quilting is very prominent, and the pattern of the quilt itself disappears. But when that quilt is on your bed and you stand back to admire it, most times the quilting disappears and the pattern of the quilt becomes prominent again....regardless of what quilting pattern you use or thread color. This is just my opinion and observation, others may see things differently. I personally think whatever thread color you use will be fine and something with curves/swirls as the quilting pattern to offset all the straight lines of the quilt itself. Your quilt looks great and I am jealous of such a great quilt for only your second!
Old 09-06-2015, 05:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNxOb-oQfm
l 've watched this a couple of times, and have found it both informing and entertaining. l googled " what to quilt on your quilt,you tube" and it's first on the list ( in casevthe link didn't work).
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I made one of these and just stitched in the ditch. I use a stencil design on the setting triangles. Not very hard to quilt.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I would opt for an off white/cream thread on this one. For quilting, I can't FMQ so would SITD or outline quilt following the pattern in this lovely design. If you can FMQ, I would go with all over swirls as I prefer curvy quilting on angular/geometric piecing designs. Lovely quilt! I have never attempted anything that large, don't know how you manage to wrangle it around!!
A third vote for off white/cream and an all over design.
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm in agreement with Jeanne S. I would use a cream/off white thread and an all-over design with curves. I think this is lovely, and very impressive for a second quilt. Congratulations!
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
When you look at a quilt from a short distance, say 1-2 feet (like when you are quilting it) the quilting is very prominent, and the pattern of the quilt itself disappears. But when that quilt is on your bed and you stand back to admire it, most times the quilting disappears and the pattern of the quilt becomes prominent again....regardless of what quilting pattern you use or thread color.
I agree, if you use a subtle, harmonizing color.

Taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture is good advice for so many situations, isn't it?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Variegated thread would look great.
More important... we want to see it when you're done!
It's beautiful.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:27 AM

Wow, beautiful quilt. And only your 2nd? Awesome. I've made many quilts, (around 60) but never tried quilting a King on my DSM. That is a lot of fabric to shove through a small hole. My Janome 6600 has a 9" throat. I agree that any light colored thread will be wonderful, variegated or otherwise. Can't wait to see your finished quilt!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 AM

Beautiful and since this is only your second quilt...WOW! No help with quilting suggestions, but just do enough to keep the batting secure...let the wonderful colors and design show. Lovely work!