Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what are the smallest scraps that you keep?

I've been quilting for a few years now, and have kept any scrap that will make at least a 1in square. I was putting some of these small bits away the other day, and suddenly wondered whether I'd ever actually work with a scrap that was only 1in wide - the seams would mean there was nothing left of it! How small do others go?

Apologies - have just found the recent thread asking the same question.

Blog Entries
    I save 1.5-inch and up. I am actually starting a quilt using the 1 1/2" squares...I need 3396 of the little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by thomp116
    I save 1.5-inch and up. I am actually starting a quilt using the 1 1/2" squares...I need 3396 of the little guys.
    Oh my word - I wish you luck!

save what you will use- pass on the rest-
    there is no reason to hang on to tubs and tubs of scraps you will never do anything with- if you are not an appliquer- (who uses very small pieces all the time) or a scrappy quilter- the scraps just grow and grow-
    there are always people out there who would appreciate what you will not use-
    i keep 2 baskets under my cutting table- one for the scraps i will reuse- the other for the ones i will not-
    when the 'will-not' basket is full i put them in a bag- then into a box and look to see who is needing some scraps-and pass them on- sometimes to someone here on the board- sometimes they go to the senior center- or the elementary school art department...but pass them on-
    if you have not used any of them in a couple years- it's time to (weed) and make room for new- usable :)

If anyone is getting rid of scraps, I would dearly love to have them, my budget doesn't allow me to buy too much yardage and I just love scrap quilts. I will be happy to pay postage.

Jean, i will save my scraps for you!!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Im a scrapper- i keep anything i can cut down to 2 inches...

Ill cut my scraps with my go and toss them in their perspective bins till i have enough to make a scrappy quilt.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If anyone should feel the need to 'weed' I would love to take the off your hands, NO waste here..and the uglier the better for me!!!! I will use anything from less that a fq to 2.5...

heres my latest..

2 inchers into blocks..
    Name:  Attachment-246876.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  68.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Scraps are fabulous; scraps can easily become overwhelming...ask me how I know. The smallest size I keep are one and half inch squares.

I keep anything over 1 inch wide. I do not cut the scraps into a specific shape until ready to use. After all I might want a strip or a triangle or some other shape instead of a square!