Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What started as a quick five minute job........help! >

What started as a quick five minute job........help!

What started as a quick five minute job........help!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=quiltmama22;7389371]
Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Thanks everyone but alas...new needle, rethreaded, changed bobbin and brushed around inside...nup, no fuzz bunny culprits or loose bits of thread, Janome was serviced-----

Have you tried a Ball Point needle. Polar fleece is a knit, thus needs a Ball Point needle.

thanks for re-assuring my mind on needle names. I am sitting here saying to self, "stretch needle, what in the name of time is a stretch needle?" Maybe I said a few different words, in the original dissertation.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:32 AM

Don't forget to make a little quilted envelope for any teeth that may fall out. Goes under the pillow. Make it big enough to easily hold a quarter.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM

I have had similar problems, tried all the things you have, and it finally came down to my Janome "not liking" either the thread in the bobbin or my top thread! If you haven't already, switch brands thread, & use same in bobbin & top. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM

Congrats to Humpty and the little GD. I am sure all will be happy and have a snuggly good night. Perhaps you will want to give the Polar Fleece a little bit of attention at a later time, when the holidays are not presenting such a crunch. You should be able to sew fleece with no trouble, so drag out that manual and see what you need to do to be able to sew on a fabric with that much pile.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Ruby, bless your grandma's heart. We turn ourselves inside out for the little ones. I am amused by your description, but it can be so frustrating when the machinery doesn't cooperate. Good luck and hope Humpty rests warm and comfy.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewer View Post
The key to fleece with my Janome is a STRETCH needle. Sews. perfectly. I prefer the walking foot also, but not essential.
Thank you oldsewer. You've solved a problem that I was having with polar fleece. Much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 PM

Ha! It's been around 30C today.......blinking hot to all you lot that don't live with celsius temperatures...but Humpty has become the proud recipient of a snuggly flannel blanket fit to cook the sweat right out from under his little cracked shell!!! Poor Humpty, between the sweat blanket and the rather "vigorous" good night pats from Miss 18 month old he deserves a medal for bravery and possibly a reprieve for a week or two in the cool toy box!!! LOL! A polar fleece one is on its way in the New Year now that the immediate urgency is over with! And yes, I'll remember my stretch/ball point needle next time for absolute sure.......insert picture of me here madly blushing with embarassment!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 AM

I have a janome in which I pieces of mixed fabric types, pieced for a memory quilt backing. There was fleece, and my janome didn't like it either. Can't tell you how many times I had to rip out stitching lines. I also had to change everything you mentioned above. I should have just used my old singer which was better at sewing heavy fabrics
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 AM

I'm glad Humpty will be warm. In the end, that is the main issue--Humpty and his girl. Grandmas just know these things, don't they!