Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What thread to use >

What thread to use

What thread to use

Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by lclang
I use pretty much whatever thread is handy and is a regular weight. Before I got one of those thread holders I used a large mouth Mason jar to hold my large spool of thread as my thread holders are horizontal and the thread kept catching on a rough spot on the spool. Just toss it in the jar and thread your machine as usual. Worked like a charm. My embroidery machine doesn't always like threads on a horizontal thread pin but worked fine on the spool holder or in a jar. Seemed to unwind more evenly. If you are having problems it's a cheap fix to try.
Would you please let us see a photo of the thread in a jar setup? Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 AM

Thank you for that tip...I'll have to try that.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by sewfunquilts

Good luck and have fun.
Don't use the heavier weight quilting thread for piecing. It will take up too much room in your seam, and throw off the size of the pieces. I like to use Aurifil or John Flynn's "So FIne" from Superior threads. Both seem expensive right of, but have a lot of thread on the spool. I generally order them both online from Superior Threads and Red Rock threads.
I almost always use Aurfil, as mentioned it may seem expensive but it is a very thin thread and ALOT is on a spool. I go between three or four neutral colors and that may last me a year, my niece does not sew as much as me and one spool lasted her almost a year; I do ALOT of sewing. Also it makes a difference in how your seams lay it is so fine it does not add to seam allowance or bulk. JMHO :) More get wound on your bobbin so it lasts longer before haveing to wind another:)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Here is my two cents. I agree with everything said here about handquilting thread. That is a big no no and it is definitely not meant for machines of any kind.

I use C&C all purpose or heavy duty thread all in neutrals for piecing. On the few occasions I've attempted machine quilting, I use machine quilting thread and I have usually gotten it for more money at the LQS because they are nice enough to explain the thread they carry than at JoAnns when they just want you to hurry up and buy already.

I think since you are a beginner, you can work with the C&C all purpose for a while and then experiment with other threads if you want. All I require of piecing thread is that it not jam up my machine and it holds the seam. I cannot buy those more expensive threads yet. But I'm hoping to catch Connecting Threads when they have a sale.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Thank you for all of the tips on the Threads.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by anglgrl
Billy I just bought 10 large spools of thread but I don't know how to attach to my singer sewing machine I have it just sitting on the table next to machine. And then then through the holes but I would like to figure a way to attach on machine any ideas or how did u do it?
I use only the large cone spools on my White , and -or Singer. My DH cuts a big spools 2/3 up and glues it in the bottom of the LCone. when the cone get empty just prise it out an put it in another. I have conespool prepared for future color fabrick. Not all big spoolare the same size, just compare the spool to the cones bottom opening. We use superglue. Theresse