Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What tools do I need to start quilting?

I did get my new Babylock Ellure for Christmas. It is really nice in that it embroiders and sews. I also got a gift cert. from a family member to a local fabric/craft store. I know I need a rotary cutter but don't know what size. (quilt piece cutting) I don't want to go overboard, but please tell me what else I might need besides fabric, thread, and batting for pieceing the quilt and eventually machine quilting. Thanks for your help!

45m rotary cutter is what most use it is just the right size you should get a cutting mat I have 2 different sizes one is 36x48 the other is smaller. A ruler good size I found is 6x24. A good seam ripper and scissors.

Blog Entries
    Rotary cutter, rotary ruler, cutting mat, extra bobbins, seam ripper :D:D:D

and...
    Extra bobbins
    Thin long glass headed straight pins (If you're buying for the first time, buy the best!)
    Elmer's school glue (white) and it has to be Elmer's!
    Iron

Most important the largest cutting mat you can find...go to Joann's with a coupon...sign up for their newsltr and they mail it with coupons automatically...45m rotary cutter, loads of safety pins, straight pins with flat heads, seam ripper diffinately, marking pen with disappearing ink, best ruller that I use most of the time 6 1/2 by 24. a good small pair and large pair scissors
    That should be a good start.

you also will want to have a 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 ruler that is gridded and has degree lines. I would also get a 6 1/2 square and a diamond ruler. these three are probably the most that you will use. a side from the long 24" ruler if you can find one a little longer than that is better. but the 24" is good enough to start with.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    I'm not adding anything, you've gotten lots of suggestions already and I agree with most. I just want to wish you lots of luck and to say if you have questions, we're here. The only problem with the board is getting away long enough to actually sew!

an imagination and a sewing machine along with a good pair of shears and rotary cutter.

Fabric is a must.

..and some good quality pins for lining up seams and also a big bundle of patience - most of all, don't forget to have fun and enjoy the creative process!

Great! This will really help me when I get to the store. Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast