Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: need advice....

  1. #1
    CutNup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    75
    I am making a 3d pinwheel quilt. Would it look better block to block, pink,yellow or white block between, white or yellow background for the pinwheels? Sorry for all the ?'s but I'm not too good at picking colors yet. You all have been great teachers! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    if you put a plain block between it will be a great spot for some fancy quilting.

  3. #3
    Senior Member hannajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    819
    I like the pinwheels how you have them with the pink background. If you decide to do that for the whole quilt, I would vote for white blocks in between. Let us know what you decide!

  4. #4
    CutNup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you put a plain block between it will be a great spot for some fancy quilting.
    I can barely SITD much less anything fancy!!! lol

  5. #5
    CutNup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by hannajo
    I like the pinwheels how you have them with the pink background. If you decide to do that for the whole quilt, I would vote for white blocks in between. Let us know what you decide!
    The floral fabric has some pink in it, just doesn't show up too well in pics.

  6. #6
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I love them on the pink. And a wonderful white would be a great plain square in between them. That is going to be a wonderful quilt

  7. #7
    Super Member quilting cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    1,889
    It needs the extra white, I think, in alternate blocks.

  8. #8
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    Quote Originally Posted by CutNup
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if you put a plain block between it will be a great spot for some fancy quilting.
    I can barely SITD much less anything fancy!!! lol
    Do you have enough fabric to make it all pinwheels? It may look a little busier than just plain block in between.

  9. #9
    Super Member willferg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern California, Sonoma Co.
    Posts
    2,648
    Could you do some pinwheels with pink and some with yellow for the background, and then alternate with white solids? I think it's going to look very pretty no matter what!

    Laurie

  10. #10
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    That white would make pretty sashing between your pinwheel blocks :D:D:D

  11. #11
    Super Member Butterflyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,438
    I think the pink background looks good. I'm not a fan of blank blocks esp. if you wouldn't be doing any fancy quilting in them, but a white sashing, as suggested earlier, would look very nice.

  12. #12
    CutNup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    It needs the extra white, I think, in alternate blocks.
    What about white eyelet?

  13. #13
    Super Member Snorky Lvs2Quilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Calif.
    Posts
    2,308
    I think the pinwheels would get lost if you put a full white block in between....how about a small white or yellow sashing in between blocks???? Either way, I like your fabrics.

  14. #14
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    I think the white block is too much but what about using white sashing ???

  15. #15
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    I like the pink background too!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Boscobd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    I think the white block is too much but what about using white sashing ???
    I agree - white sashing would look great. Also, I love the way you have the blocks hanging - that is a neat idea. I think I need to go get a small curtain rod and attach it to the wall in my sewing area to use the same way!! Thanks for the great idea!

  17. #17
    CutNup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    I think the white block is too much but what about using white sashing ???
    I agree - white sashing would look great. Also, I love the way you have the blocks hanging - that is a neat idea. I think I need to go get a small curtain rod and attach it to the wall in my sewing area to use the same way!! Thanks for the great idea!
    After pinning a quilt to the carpet, there had to be a better way! While hanging panels one day, the proverbial lightbulb went on!This rod will hold a queen sized quilt and is 8 inches from the wall. Much easier on the knees as well.
    Thanks for all the help everyone! Once I get all the blocks made, I will try to decide on solid blocks or sashing.

  18. #18
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    looks nice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.