Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting? >

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Default What is the very best way to mark a quilt for quilting?

I know, I know...provocative title! And I know there is no right answer - but I have been experimenting with different methods since I started quilting (lo these many years), and I feel comfortable saying that I have found many wrong answers!

Mostly these days I mark with very pale colored chalk after the quilt is layered, and only do a small section of marking at a time, as the chalk tends to flake away as I move the quilt around. I have had problems with brighter colored chalk staining (even on colored, patterned fabrics), and I find the water erase quilt markers dry out too quickly to be worth the money. (But I really do like them. *sigh*) I also frequently use the white, yellow or blue fabric marking pencils, and have not had staining issues with them. I've never been successful marking the top before layering it - the methods I have tried have all had to be substantially re-marked after layering, or have left permanent marks.

How do you do it?

Alison
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

ditto to all you have said!

I've had the same dilemma ... I don't like taking risks and do not wash my quilts after quilting!

After reading about them here, I got a ceramic pencil this summer. It's a mechanical lead, in both black/charcoal and white.

So far so good, for the limited use I have had ... it makes a fine line, seems to "stick" when moving the quilt around, and pretty much disappears with the quilting. Or is it covered by the thread? Regardless, removal has not been an issue, so far!

It is water soluble, and while I have not had the need (yet!) ... some posters reported on here that they spritz it with water and rub it out, without washing. Another said she dabbed water on with a paint brush to remove the markings.

So long as it keeps on this way ... you can call me happy!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

My new favourite way is white chalkboard chalk. I posted pictures of my placemats marked and the chalk/ sharpener on a previous post of "chalkboard chalk". It works best on medium to dark fabrics and a moist cloth takes it off.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM

For stencil, I use a pounce pad
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Banned

Generals multi pastel chalk pencils in light gray or white, ceramic mechanical pencil, or maricle chalk pounce type
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 PM

I've been using black a lot lately, and I find that bar soap works really well.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 AM

frixion pen!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:03 AM

I use the small slivers of bar soap also
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM

I use a plain old #2 lead mechanical pencil on light fabrics and a Bohin mechanical pencil with white lead on dark fabrics. Haven't had issues with these. But I do wash my quilts after quilting. I usually only mark a small section at a time as both of these will wear off as well.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Generals multi pastel chalk pencils in light gray or white, ceramic mechanical pencil, or maricle chalk pounce type
I recently purchased and used the General's pastel chalk pencil in a light gray. I had a horrible time getting the marks out. Finally resorted to rubbing alcohol and that removed them. Do they usually come out for you in the wash??

My favorite is still the water soluble blue on light fabrics. To mark a whole quilt I will have 3 of them at the ready and rotate them regularly. They need a bit of a recharge it seems. For dark fabrics I like the Bohn or Fons and Porter ceramic white lead pencil or white chalk. If I mark as I go I do use these two same items but, I have also used the purple air erase pen. You have to work fast with that. It can fade quicker then you want it to, especially in humid weather.