Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What weight batting do you use

In your quilts. I have generally used a light weight batting - But I am wondering if a heavier batting would improve the feel of the quilt?

Any opinions??

I personally only use low loft poly or the warm and natural brand. Some of my baby quilts i have used lightweight fleece inside and they come out so soft and no puckers.

i use hobbs 80-20

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Quilt guild last month: Up to the style of quilt. Puffy finish or flatter pieced design.
    No right or wrong. I like the flat cotton. Easier to hold down and machine sew without catching folds in the back.
    My you can't beat that puffy feeling !
    Good luck!
    Ell

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i use hobbs 80-20
    Ditto.

I personally use Cotton on my quilts. I use all cotton fabric, so I can't see using synthetic when using all natural products.
    Yes the loft of a poly is great to see the quilting, but can be extremely hot (especially for women my age).
    My new batting I'm using is Legacy by Pellon, it is an 80/20 like Hobbs, but a tad thicker.
    I have Warm/Natural, Black Hobbs, Hobbs 80/20 in both queen and King and Legacy's washable wool.
    I'm a batting junkie.
    Don't ask about thread, that is a whole nother topic. :)

I use Warm and Natural almost exclusively when I do my own quilting. But I did a quilt for my son who wanted a "warm and heavy" quilt. I sent it to a LAQ and she used 2 layers of Hobbs 80/20. It looks good, but is really too heavy for my tastes. My son loves it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    In your quilts. I have generally used a light weight batting - But I am wondering if a heavier batting would improve the feel of the quilt?

Any opinions??
    I used to use a poly-blend,because I thought that's what we HAD to use. Now, I use Warm N Natural or Simply Cotton. If I want it thicker, I use 2-3 layers of the batting. It still gives you a nice, defined look after quilting. That is what I used in the Free Spirit quilt I posted, because I wanted more definition in the horse.

i generally use the loftiest batting i can find; i like my quilts to be soft and fluffy! i only use low-loft batts for bags and other projects- not quilts