Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

A few years ago my SIL told me that her cat liked her quillow so much that she gave it to her....and can I make her another one? Really the time is very short for a quillow compared to a quilt so I did make her another. However I did stipulate that if she chose to give this one to her cat than I would never ever make her anything again.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM

You are right to be upset. And to put it in an outside doghouse is just plain wrong! I certainly would not give that relative anything of value in the future. I am quite sure it was a beautiful work of art.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I don't care how much the gift giver should release the gift and not expect anything from it and the receiver should be able to do what ever they want-they'll never get another quilt from me or anything of value. It's a slap in the face when people don't value something that you've spend so much time, effort and money on something you've made special for them.

That's why I don't make quilts for anyone. I'd rather give to charity, that way I don't see what the person is doing with the finished product. And I hope that some child is getting a little comfort from what I make.
I chose to go the charity route also. While I am a rather “quickie” sewer and quilter in my designs-large blocks & machine work as much as possible-plus the actual products (including quilts), I don’t care to give the handmade products anymore to relatives, friends, and acquaintances-unless I am forced to. I only give locally to known charities that I am sure of channeling the products to a actual flesh-and blood receiver.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Your story beats the worst that happened to me. Not a quilt, but a crocheted baby blanket and matching sweater and pants. Made for a SIL. She opened it, rifled through the box, looked at me and said "what? no money?"

Why am I not surprised at this? She is a very good representation of what’s wrong with this present society.

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
Made quilt for gal at work who was in a bad way. She just loved it. However, do did her dog. He died on it! She buried him in it! I cried on the way home when she told me. Haven't made that pattrn again and it's a great scrappy quilt.

I hope you are not upset at the final use of your beloved quilt. I remember my father telling me that families buried their dead alongside the road to California with one of their prized quilts during the 1930’s Depression. Quilts really do give comfort and use up to the final minutes & send off-for any living and former living being.

Originally Posted by nycbgirl View Post
A few years ago my SIL told me that her cat liked her quillow so much that she gave it to her....and can I make her another one? Really the time is very short for a quillow compared to a quilt so I did make her another. However I did stipulate that if she chose to give this one to her cat than I would never ever make her anything again.

I would recommend sending special "pet-proof or at least resistant" quilts to animal loving & occupied homes. Below are some recent rag quilts I use everyday here with Hellion (the little female) & Brother (the big solid gray male). I make many of them and scatter these special designed ones all over the house to protect the beds & furniture. Most quilt patterns translate to the ragging method very well or even better than the original pattern.
Attached Thumbnails 6943512970_65602b34fc.jpg   7089580405_51aeecfe11.jpg  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 04-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Many years ago, I had to use one of my quilts to transport a leaky auto battery in the trunk of my car. The only other option was to let the battery acid destroy the carpeting in the trunk. It was easier and cheaper to replace the quilt.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 PM

I found the quilt I gave my daughter folded and pushed in between the footboard and mattress of her bed. She told me that her significant other was tall and that his feet hit the footboard so she put the quilt there to cushion his feet!. I didn't say anything at the time but later in a discussion, I inquired about the quilt and asked her if she could not find something else to cushion his feet. She apologized and said she felt that was probably not a good thing to do after I explained a little about the quilt and how much it meant to me. I am thinking that this is not the daughter to make another quilt for.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM

My grandmother made me a scrap quilt. We used it for about a decade all the time all over the place. It was the top to forts, something to lay on the floor for either of my sons to crawl on, a sofa blanket, etc. We used it until it literally disintegrated. She was happier that we used it until it fell apart rather than set it aside not to be touched. I tell people who receive my quilts to use them until they fall apart. The quilts with the expensive fabric and LAQ have recipients that are very carefully selected...
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM

I gave one quilt to my new dil and have yet to see it anywhere. I don't know if its hidden in a closet or if she gave it to someone else. Guess its better than seeing it in the dog house.

Pat in MN
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Many years ago, I had to use one of my quilts to transport a leaky auto battery in the trunk of my car. The only other option was to let the battery acid destroy the carpeting in the trunk. It was easier and cheaper to replace the quilt.
I would used one or two of the car floor mats and set the battery on those. What did you need with a leaky battery for anyway?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Several years ago my sister had a fuss with her husband and wanted to know if she could come and spend the night at our house. I said yes of course. I had just finished putting the binding on a quilt I had hand quilted and pieced. I tucked her in that night on our couch with my newly finished quilt. She had brought her own pillow, jammies etc. To make a long story short, when she tossed her pillow and other things into the back of her station wagon, there was a battery back there. The battery acid got onto my quilt on one of the blocks and part of the sashing and ate little holes in it. I never told her of the damage, it was an accident. I still have the quilt, its one of my favorites.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Oh, my goodness, these are awful stories. I'm so glad I don't have one to add. Guess that's what happens when you start many quilts and finish so few, lol! I hope I never have a story to add to these. Of the few I do finish, I have so far been very careful about who the recipients are, and they have all appreciated the quilts and valued them. I guess I'm lucky. But Ckcowl, you have really had horrible luck with your gifted quilts. I think I'd be making some serious changes in that respect if I were you. It seems like none of your precious quilts have been appreciated. Too sad.