Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do...?

I have a beautiful Sunbonnet Sue quilt top that my great grandmother made that I would love to finish. Now, my Mom is not the superstitious sort, but since Great Grandma died while working on it, she feels funny about allowing it to be completed. What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc. TIA!

Blog Entries
    I bet your Grandmother would want it to be finished and pleased that her Granddaughter finished it.

Finish it...your grandmother will smile down on you for doing it!

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    I would finish it and gve it to mum.

Welcome from Illinois! Your GG would probably love for her work to be finished and it will give you great joy to have a piece that the two of you made!

She died doing what she loved, yes? The key to life is being able to complete our life's work, happily. And knowing that what we put our hand to was appreciatd. Those qualities and attributes probably made the tempo of your Great Grandmother's life. Do you have any old letters or diaries that would back up the notion that she would want her SBS to be completed? You could start the "conversation" by framing one Sue, making an exquisite wall decoration piece, and win favor from your other relatives... let the persuasion begin!

Blog Entries
    personally I really am not superstitious and would finish the quilt in honor of my GGM and be proud of the heritage it comes from.
    Peace

PS: just a thought. What if no one finished anything that a deceased person handled. Nothing would ever be acomplished in this world. I have lots of my mothers counted crossstitch hanging on my walls. It wouldn't be there if I haden't taken up the work of my mother and completed them. Her memory is always with me and that is a good thing.
    peace again

If there are no green fumes billowing from the seams, or acid dripping from the stitches I think you might be safe to finish the quilt. However should you start hearing someone tell you to get out of the house I'd reconsider.

Power Poster
    Yes finish it, you will be glad you did!

Who has the quilt? How worried will your mother be is you start working on it? IF she will be very worried is it worth it? Was this a very special quilt to your grandmother or just the latest one that she happened to be making? I think your priorities lie with your living mother not your dead grandmother. Think about it.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast