Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you expect from a beginner class? >

What would you expect from a beginner class?

What would you expect from a beginner class?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM

We learned how to cut, how to make templates, turned edge freezer paper applique, sashing & cornerstones, mitered borders, flying geese, how to hand baste ( I was supposed to hand quilt this-we learned hand quilting in a frame.) she pretty much demoed in class & then our homework was to go home & make the block or do the assignment. I hadn't sewed in 30 years. There was a lot of cussin & cryin that went into that little quilt. I couldn't cut accurately or sew a consistent 1/4 seam for anything....
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM

Ditto what PatPitter said. I took a beginner quilting class and we made a small wall hanging over the course of two days. We went over everything PatPitter listed, and I walked away feeling confident enough to make quilts on my own. I use youtube a lot, but I really liked the class environment.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM

My beginner class was a 8 week course and we did a sampler twin quilt. We practiced the skills we needed in the class for that week's block. The samples we created in class were a great reference for when we got home and worked on our real quilt. The skill sets of the students varied greatly but all of us each created a beautiful quilt top. A second course showed us how to sandwich, baste, a little free motion quilting, binding, labeling and how to make a hanging sleeve. It was a lot of fun and we all learned how to quilt and did a lot laughing.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Quilted sunshine your project is lovely, but your talking about a workshop I'm talking about doing a 6 week class. Most of the list that have been presented here to some degree are on my list. Someone suggested I ask other quilters what they would expect. Another thing is if they don't have a sewing machine I am willing to allow them to use my vintage machines if they choose to.
Beginning class/workshop....right? Has to be some practical, not all theory....... Are you planning to do this in your home? Reason asking...allowing others to use your vintage sewing machines.........
Old 11-01-2014, 05:10 AM

I am a fairly new quilter, too, but confident now. I was a garment sewer all my life so didn't expect it to be too different. My first quilt was a full blown McKenna Ryan applique quilt and went fine since it's not traditional blocks. My best learning experience was when I did a BOM with my LQS. I learned Soooo much from that!!! Getting the triangle thing down was so different from garment sewing. I have taken a lot of Craftsy classes now, and love to FMQ. The internet is just the best at home learning tool! Join a local Guild if you can and their classes are awesome, too!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I thought she was asking about teaching a class, not taking one.
I agree. I thought she meant to take on teaching a class. I knew nothing about quilting and picked it up through trial and error. There are still some basics that I learn every time I make a quilt, especially about fabric choice. I made a so-called mystery quilt, and since I did not know what it would look like at the end, I chose certain fabrics, two of which did not work at all. I wound up taking the quilt all apart and redoing two of the fabrics. That to me would be important.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 AM

I have also been sewing since I was a small child. For many years I made Thing for my home most of my own clothes and even made clothes for my husband, but I always wanted to quilt. I pieced some small things, but never finished them. About 5 years ago I decided to follow up on my dream to make a quilt so I went and signed up for a beginner's class. I am so glad I did. I got lots of tips and tricks from the teacher, the ladies in the shop, and even my classmates. I also gained confidence and a completed project and it was fun. It was comforting knowing that if I had a question, there would be someone there every week to help me. For me it was well worth the time and money.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 AM

All of these ideas should be implemented into a beginner sewing class for quilters. I had been a seamstress all my life. I learned excellent sewing skills from my mother, who had been a home ec teacher, plus, I took four years of home ec in high school. When I decided to learn how to make quilts, it was a totally different medium than sewing garments, etc. I had sewing "skills" but not the knowledge or tools required/needed for quilting, so I took a beginner quilting class. We made various blocks for a small quilt so that we would learn various techniques such as piecing, paper piecing, applique, etc. We learned how to make borders, sandwich our quilt, and then she had us quilt it by hand to learn how it is done. I think a beginner quilting class is really a good idea in order to learn the concept, etc. Back when I was learning to quilt, YouTube and internet searches were not available like they are today. Good luck if you decide to pursue teaching students to quilt!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I thought she was asking about teaching a class, not taking one.
I doesn't matter if you are the teacher or the student, these things should be taught or learned.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:45 AM

I started quilting after taking a beginner class at (of all places) the Smithsonian through their Resident Associate Program. It was for people who knew how to sew, but had never quilted. We learned fabric selection, some color theory and piecing. Unfortunately, we had to piece a pillow cover by hand. Definitely not my thing, but I did it and swore I would never do it again. The second half of the class was applique, again by hand and I found needle-turn to be relaxing and beautifully precise, but I have never done it again either. LOL. I think, though, that you have to be exposed to all aspects of the craft in order to determine which suits you, your interests and your adaptability to challenge.