Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you include? >

What would you include?

What would you include?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Default What would you include?

As a fund raiser at my church I am thinking of putting into the auction a 3 hour basic quilting class, one-on-one in my home.

Of course it will matter whether the purchaser already sews or not, but I am trying to come up with an actual lesson -- shapes, color intensity, accuracy -- and ideally the person would end up with a finished project to take home.

I bought a 14" pillow form, but now am finding no simple blocks that large (and I am geometrically very challenged). I also thought of making some of those bowl huggies, but that barely involves quilting, though it does cover color, batting and sandwiching.

I am somewhere between advanced beginner and mediocre intermediate in my quilting skills, the worst of which is FMQ.

What would you expect in a short basic class? Thanks for any ideas you can give me!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 AM

3 hours isn't a lot of time, especially if a beginner wins the auction.

A thought would be make a completed project to display and a kit to use to teach with. Due to the 3 hour time frame your fabric should also be cut, but that won't teach them how to do it.

Maybe use Take 5 and just make 2 blocks for the front/back of the pillow.

You're going to have to explain how to choose fabric, cut, sew, and put together a pillow. I just don't see it happening within a 3 hour window.

Maybe two 3 hour windows giving the winner at the end of the first 3 hour class the kit/instructions on what to do at home. Then the second class teach them how to complete the pillow.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

You can use any 12" block and add 1" sashing all around to get your 14".
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Maybe you could offer the winner a couple of options:

1) Very basic - this is a needle, this is thread, this is a sewing machine, this is fabric level - I think a pillowcase would be about it for three hours - and it still takes me longer than that to do it well.

2) Maybe a very small table runner or place mat thing - you could get -

3) Maybe a specialized class - how to apply binding - how to do flying geese - different ways of doing HSTs
Old 05-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

For 3 hours, for a beginner, assuming they know how to use a sewing machine but not much else... I would skip anything to do with color theory. Perhaps supply the fabric and have them make a couple of pot holders. Use simple designs with no angles - log cabin with wide strips would work nicely. You can teach a lot (including binding) with pot holders. And everyone can use them.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 AM

So far all your ideas are great! I think maybe I can whet their interest in 3 hours and offer a follow-up course if desired.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Why three hours? Why not a 6 hour Saturday? Or a day good for both of you? The winner would be able to cut and start sewing simple blocks to make a table topper that is turned. If you two hit it off then you have a new quilting friend! If the person doesn't seem to get it or is whinny, then she has completed the project and you are done.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

A word of caution, make sure you have a quilting glove. Don't need any accidents with rotary cutters. That could be something to take home along with the project. Try to get a coupon or go to a bait/sports store and get a fileting glove. They're about the same price.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM

This is what I teach in my Beginning Piecing Workshop: rotary cutting, sewing accurate 1/4” seams, quilting tools, thread, machine set-up, pressing, 4-patch, half-square-triangles, sparrow block, “twist and shout,” snowball corners, flying geese, square-in-a-square, matching points and diagonal corners, squaring-up, chain piecing, block construction, “needle down and stomp your foot,” “steering with the pin,” and borders. But we take 5 weeks to do it, and machine quilting and binding are separate classes.

Maybe a Friendship Star hot pad would be more appropriate. That may take more than 3 hours, though.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM

How about the disappearing four patch (Jenny Doan) made from 10 inch pre-cuts? You could let them choose the fabrics and how wide to cut the strip. then they can cut the block down to size. It's super easy but has a really complicated look to it. Would cover all the basics. Good luck to you!