Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pin pricked finger cure

Blog Entries

pin pricked finger cure

I'm back at the crazy hexes again and have pin pricked fingers. I didn't use a thimble, and have a hard time using one.
    so does anyone know of a quick cure for the pin priched finger tips that come with hexes?? thanks
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Tell Grandma to plant her own garden?

Are you implying that muttering cuss words under your breath and sticking the pricked finger in your mouth is not a cure?
    Laura

Paying it forward, one Smile at a time!
    http://twistedvegas.com

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    There are a couple of tips here
    http://www.blockcentral.com/tips-healthy.shtml

From soaking your fingers in alcohol to using Preparation H
    Good luck!
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Blog Entries
    you all crack me up!!
    i'll go to the hints page, thanks
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    For any small wounds, I find putting a little polyporin cream on before bed helps. It usually takes a couple of days for my finger tips to recover when I am hand quilting.

I like using these instead of a thimble:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/24722607?w...242832&veh=sem

Blog Entries
    dab the tips of your beat- up fingers with a coUple of layers of "new-skin liquid bandage." If you get one of those flexible plastic thimbles with the metal tip,and wear it several hours a day,after 2 or 3 days,it won't feel so weird to use one for stitching.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Well, chuckle at this Lynnie. The same thing happens to me but I use that stuff in the green metal box called Bag Balm. If it is good enough for cow's utter, it works on my pricked fingers too.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I use Bag Balm for all scratches, bites, and pricks. It's great for dry skin too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If you are looking to protect your fingers, use a piece of adhesive tape on them in place of a thimble. That's what the ladies I grew up around used. I still do-works better than a thimble for me.

Blog Entries
    When I hand quilt, I have a few days of pin pricks, but then I get a sort of callous and it doesn't hurt as much.

Blog Entries
    my fingers never callous, they just get pricked more. just finished the 3/4" hex
    and started this the next day.

question on the alcohol. do I use rum or vodka??????

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    my fingers never callous, they just get pricked more. just finished the 3/4" hex
    and started this the next day.

question on the alcohol. do I use rum or vodka??????
    Whatever is the cheapest that you only keep on hand in case company comes.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

I too use the new skin liquid bandage. When hand quilting, I put it on my fingers before starting.

[QUOTE=lynnie;720173
    question on the alcohol. do I use rum or vodka??????[/QUOTE]
    Vodka. That way you can pass off the "I use it instead of Best Press" and get away with it...

shy
    This may sound a little crazy..but there is a cream called Udder Balm..it was for cows to begin with for sore..chapped udders..but people found out how well it works ..so u can buy it most places..anyway u can around here..after I am done sewing hexes I use it..takes the soreness away..it also take the burn out burns..

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I like using these instead of a thimble:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/24722607?w...242832&veh=sem
    I just love these little thing use them lots . Cathy

I use "udderly smooth", which is another cow's udder cream. I only tend to use it at night, but it definitely helps my poor finger to heal faster!

If I'm having a really bad day and am poking my finger more than I'd like then I use the " new skin" liquid plaster. It does help to protect it, but with every prick it starts getting loose, so I don't always use it, as it can be a bit of a pain to use!

I haven't done my hexies for a little while so my finger is looking all fresh again, but I know that it's going to go straight back to its horrible state as soon as I start up again!

Blog Entries
    I was always told to suck the blood out of the pin prick and it would not hurt. I know it sounds sort of gross, but it works. No, it is not enough blood to turn you into a Vampire!
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I usually just put a band-aid on my finger with the padding of the band-aid on the sore part of my finger. I use "Working Hands" hand cream by O'Keefe every night and this helps the cracking of my skin too. This also helps the cracking of the skin by my nails that I get as I wash my hands many times a day. I really swear by this cream.

Lynnie, try carmex lip balm, I use it all the time, I hand quilt, my index finger on my left hand has a callus on it from being pricked, this is

lynnie when my fingers get like that from hand quilting I put Super Glue on the sore area. Let it dry real good and keep on working.
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

Lynnie, I had problems finding a thimble that worked for me when I came across one that is open sided and adjustable and I love using it. It's not too tight around my finger and stays on well. I've also had a lot of luck with the leather thimbles especially the ones that stretch over your knuckle so it doesn't fall off.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...eThimbles.html
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Those sticky things you can buy for rulers or as thimbles not sure of name .

personally I have false nails put on and use them to push the needle through the fabric and the other hand nail stops needle going too far. So far no holes.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast