Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the best iron for piecing quilts? >

What's the best iron for piecing quilts?

What's the best iron for piecing quilts?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1430
I recently posted about my favorite little iron. It's great for piecing because it's so light-weight, but it still gets nice and hot and has steam, too. I've had this iron for about three years now, paid about $25.00 for it (Amazon) and just love it! No troubles with leaking or anything. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I have to hoist a heavy iron for every little seam I have to press, it gets tiring and my shoulder starts hurting so bad. I have a regular (cheap) iron for pressing my fabric before I cut, but I use this little gem for everything else. Several of my quilting friends bought one, too, and they also love it. Here's the link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-149312-1.htm
I've been interested in this iron also. Glad you like it, think I'll get me one!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 AM

If you want the best, try an Oliso. These are the kind that lift up on their own. (They use one on Fons and Porter quilting show). I bought it at a quilt show about 2 years ago and I would never go back to a regular iron again. When friends come over to my house to sew and use my iron they end up going home and buying one for themselves. It cost about $150.00 - but boy are they worth it!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by pattipat
When I am paper piecing I keep a flat iron beside my sewing machine. I am able to press the seams without having the bulk of an extra ironing surface beside the machine.
Great idea!

:lol:
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM

I am so grateful for all of the info about Rowenta irons from this grp. I was trying to justify paying big $ for one til I started hearing about them leaking so much. Now I will just stick to inexpensive irons when I need to get another one.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 PM

I paid 39.00 for my Shark and so far I really like it. It shoots out a 2 foot burst of steam which is good for steaming clothes on a hanger, and also steaming the mattress in case of bed bugs. I also have a Shark vacuum cleaner which I don't like because of the noise. I have a Shark floor steamer and I love it. The floor is clean and dry within a minute or two.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
I have a Rowenta that's about 18 months old. Yesterday is starting leaking water big time. I looked online and read horrible reviews, so I think I'll be buying a new iron today before I ruin my pink and white hearts baby quilt. Should I just go back to a cheap black and decker? sigh...
I have heard this about Rowenta from a number of folks, but this has never happened to me and mine is about 9 years old. I must have gotten lucky! And I know folks don't like the auto shut off, but I am so forgetful I really need it, and I don't mind waiting the few seconds it takes to heat up isn't a problem. I just give the iron a tilt before I even lay the block down and by the time I am done fussing with the seams it is hot.