Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what's the difference between crocheted thread and perle cottons? >

what's the difference between crocheted thread and perle cottons?

what's the difference between crocheted thread and perle cottons?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM

Default what's the difference between crocheted thread and perle cottons?

Yesterday, while in town I purchased some crochet thread. I wanted it to tie my quilt. Is their any difference between crochet thread, and perle cotton?
Anyone ever use crochet thread for tying. Pro's, Con's appriciated.
Thank you
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM

I will watch this thread for the answers....this is a very interesting question. If no one is able to help...I would consider contacting Coats and Clark.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM

I never tied my quilt, however a neighbor of mine uses embroidery floss. I think she uses 3 strands of floss. Will ask her about crochet cotton though. Sorry I can't help you more.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 AM

I have used crichet thread to tie quilts, works great! Have never used pearl cotton, they look and feel much the same. You can get crochet cotton in diffrent weights, don't know about pearl cotton, have only seen it in one weight
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM

My grandmother and mom, both used crochet thread to tie their quilts...... Mine, that I have of theirs, are holding up great!, a few are over 15 years old. I don't know about pearl cotton thread, tho.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm not sure, but the only advantage I can see to using perle cotton, is that it comes in a greater variety of colors, if that is important to you. The advantage of crochet cotton is that it comes rolled nicely in a ball.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I believe the difference is in the sizing system. Thet're both cotton, but the sizing numbers are different.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 AM

perle cotton is softer and greater range of colors, IF they stock it where you live... (little town, lucky to get the crochet cotton)...perle does come in different weights and can be used for the same projects but due to cost is more likely to be used on clothing trims and places where it touches your body...lovely sheen to it...great compromise? Knit-cro-sheen...kind of in between...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM

I have used lots of perle cotton and crochet thread of varying weights, as well as embroidery thread. They all work fine for tying quilts. The perle cotton is shinier. When tying quilts, I want something that will stay tied and be secure. Personal preference is not for thicker yarn that turns into a fuzzball when washed.

Crochet thread is not terribly expensive, but can be easily found at estate and garage sales for very low prices and in many colors.

Dayle
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM

I have tied quilts with both. I prefer the pearle cotton because it seems to make a nicer knot and won't work it's way loose and seems to be a softer thread. But both turn out ok, I think it is just what you like and have at hand.