Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite marking tool?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
    I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.
    I've tried these, and liked them until I had to sharpen them. I tried several pencil sharpeners, and the lead always broke. How do you sharpen them?
    Yes, I've had that problem too. Now I'm wondering about the sewfine they're talking about.
    Can anyone tell me where to get them??
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
    I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.
    I've tried these, and liked them until I had to sharpen them. I tried several pencil sharpeners, and the lead always broke. How do you sharpen them?
    Yes, I've had that problem too. Now I'm wondering about the sewfine they're talking about.
    Can anyone tell me where to get them??
    Thanks!
    It's Sewline pencils. You can get them online and I've gotten them from my LQS

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Thanks, VirtualBernie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks I've wondered the sa
    Me thing!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, VirtualBernie!
    You are both welcome! (you and Painiacs) I love them because they come in a lot of colors--pink, yellow, green and white are the one's I have and have never had a problem with them

There's also a "Bohn" brand but seem to be more expensive.

Blog Entries
    I got my from Amzon.

I love the Frixion pilot pens. I only wish they would come out with a white

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I just bought some of them because of comments on this board. I tested on 100% cotton and it worked wonderfully. I happened to be making some bridesmaids dresses and had some polyester and that failed miserably! Just a word of caution--always test on the fabric you will be using...

I'd like a white one also!

I hand quilt and primarily use a mechanical pencil with #2 soft lead. Never had a problem with it washing out and it can be seen on most fabrics. For darker fabrics I have the Bohin mechanical pencil with a white lead. It works well and have not had issues with their lead washing out. I also have the Dritz chalk mechanical style pencil with the different colored chalk leads. I have not had an issues with any of these colors washing out as others said on another thread here on the board but best to test. That said, you will not get a particularly fine line with those markers. I can't tell you how many markers; pencils; chalks, etc. I have tried and still just go back to my good old mechanical #2 pencil - never need to worry about sharpening either.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    Same here!! The red is a favorite...it even comes out of white. But, can only be used on cotton. I also wish they came out with a white or silver. I wonder if we started emailing them...hmmmm....
    I also like the wheelie thingie w/ the chalk in a tube. And, I save my soap slivers -- they're nice for marking free-hand patterns and wash out the first time the quilt is put in the washer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast