Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite marking tool?

The sewline pencils have a ceramic lead they are really good Joannes also sells two different brands of them one is on the notions wall and the other is in the fons and porter section they are 12.99 -14.99

Northwestern Lower Michigan/Seminole, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I use the Dritz Water Soluable pen and it works great. Has always washed out for me. Just don't heat set.
    I like the Dritz, too. I have quilted a couple of quilts with them and haven't had any problem. The ink comes out with a spray of water and has never reappeared even after washing. Be careful to stay away from heat until the ink is washed out. Love your kitty, Sewcrafty!

I have been using the quilters gray pencil for years. I don't like any of the latest marking tools. They usually fade too soon or not at all, don't wash out and most are too hard to see. Got a good idea from a dressmaker the other day. She uses nothing but old fashioned school chalk in all colors as needed. She keeps a small pencil sharpener close and sharpens the chalk to a fine drawing line. I'm going to WM today for chalk. What have I got to lose?[/quote]

That sounds interesting. I think I'll try it too. You can also get chalk holders to keep your hands from getting chalky but you may have to get them at an office supply or school supply store. I've seen teachers use them.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
    I've got a small assortment of the basic "colored pencil" style of dressmaking pencils, and I hate them. They don't mark the fabric unless I mash it hard, and then it makes a fat line and distorts the weave of the threads. They do wash out, but they're basically useless if they're not going to mark easily.

I love handquilting, and I'd like to incorporate more complex stitch patterns into my quilts (I'd prefer to draw them on, rather than stenciling). I would like to find a pencil or chalk or something that can mark in a fine line, is *not* air soluble, and will wash out (obviously). I don't trust the washable ink markers, but if you can reassure me that they'll wash out completely, I might give it a go.

Any ideas?
    I use mark be gone (a blue water soluble) that comes out easily. However, I wouldn't trust it to sit there for years until I got around to that particular quilt. I would use it right before quilting and wash out right away.

And I use Sewline. I was so happy to see that one come out. Those white and silver quilters pencils were always breaking on me and never worked that well. And the light colored Sewline works great on dark fabric.

And now, thanks to all the information from you wonderful people I will try and have ordered from Amazon Pilot Frixion Erasable Fine point gel pens. Now I can see that they erase, but do they come out in the wash?

Blog Entries
    I use Fons & Porter mechanical marking pencil. The leads come in many different colors. Get them at Joann's on sale or with a coupon.

i have a clover pencil sharpener that i bought from sue nichols that works wonderful. it is cute looks like a thimble.

I use taylors chalk, inexpensive and comes in many colors, also soap shivers are great for dark colors.

Quote Originally Posted by barb55
    I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the earse it has.
    I also like Sewline and love them. I use the charcoal color and the white.

I have tryed every pen on the market and nothing works, until I found a pen called Frixion make by Pilot. Come out with heat, just run a warm iorn over it, comes out every time. You can get it a Walgreens or Computers stores.

Oops, I mean Iron, sorry...

General chalk pencils, from an art supply store, my quilting teacher says these are the best pencils to use for quilting as she has tried all the quilting related supplies, and prefers these and they have a lot of different colors fro marking

I just finished hand quilting a quilt for my daughter. I started quilting it about 4 years ago. I am not a fast quilter. I used the blue marking pen and the marks were there for about 3-4 years.
    When I finished quilting I held my breath and started spraying with plain water.....and the marks all came out. What a relief!!!
    Every time I stopped quilting I folded the quilt up with the top on the inside so there was no light getting to the markings. I don't know if this helped, but the water soluble pens do work.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt1950
    I've tried these, and liked them until I had to sharpen them. I tried several pencil sharpeners, and the lead always broke. How do you sharpen them?
    With a hand held sharpener, turn the sharpener, not the pencil. Since I started doing this I rarely break the lead, unless the pencil has fallen on a hard floor - when that happens, the lead in the pencil can break.

I use Prismacolor artists colored pencils, in white and light blue. I stay away from yellow, red and other colors because they contain dyes that might stain the fabric. I also use a marker from Bohin that's similar to the Sewline, but I only have the white leads for it, and for fabrics that are dark enough, I like the Clover white pen. It irons off.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I have found the cheapest Bic pencils works great and they do wash out....gives a very fine line....works best on light fabrics...

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    I use the Fons and Porter lead (black and white) but the actual mechanical pen that they sell is expensive, so I bought a cheap mechanical pen set and use the F&P lead in it.One white and one black. Works great! Just make sure you get the right size pen for the lead.

so many choices. :)

Blog Entries
    I am also a hand quilter and use the quilter pencils as well. I've never had a problem with them.
    ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
    I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bought the Fons & Porter pencil with both the brown and the white leads...don't use anything else since getting this one........

Staples has a series of pins by Piolit. They are in a pkg of three. Black, Red' Purple, They mark just like a ball point. Then when you are finished the iron takes the mark out instatly. I also us the Sewline.

Blog Entries
    I always use the Berol pencils to mark my quilting lines. It comes in sliver or white or the Ultimate Marking Pencil . Both of these wash out very nice. The Berol pencil has to be sharpened often and the Ultimate Marking Pencil has a lead in it, I have never had a problem with either.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    I have been using the quilters gray pencil for years. I don't like any of the latest marking tools. They usually fade too soon or not at all, don't wash out and most are too hard to see. Got a good idea from a dressmaker the other day. She uses nothing but old fashioned school chalk in all colors as needed. She keeps a small pencil sharpener close and sharpens the chalk to a fine drawing line. I'm going to WM today for chalk. What have I got to lose?
    That sounds interesting. I think I'll try it too. You can also get chalk holders to keep your hands from getting chalky but you may have to get them at an office supply or school supply store. I've seen teachers use them.[/quote]

I have used regular old blackboard chalk to mark when sewing clothes - except for it coming out on your hands - it works well and you have a variety of colors to pick from.

Marysewfun

I am really in love with the Pilot FRIXION pen, It apparently was not meant for quilters but we have found it, it is like a felt tip sort of, but when you are done with the marks, you just touch it with a warm iron, and VOILA it is gone. I think it is great.
    Someone told me to be careful that when the fabric gets cold it will come back, I haven't found this. .. but so touch it with warm iron again.PS some quilt shops have it , but I found it at Staples.
    Rita

I'd do a search on here for Frixion pens before you try them out. I've read mixed reviews.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning toward the Sewline pencils. I'm just really leery of ink of any type.

Thanks for all the great responses!!!

I have just found the most wonderful marking mens made by Pilot. They are the Pilot FriXion Erasable Gel Pen. (Stock #31557). They come 3 to a pack at Target for a little over $5.00. They are so awesome because you can mark on the fabric, yes even on the right side, let it stay on there for many weeks and then just touch it with a warm iron and "Bingo", all the markings are completely gone. At the bottom of the pack it says Rollergel. The packs come with either a red, black and blue one or a red, orange and black one. I Love, love, love them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast