Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite marking tool?

I've got a small assortment of the basic "colored pencil" style of dressmaking pencils, and I hate them. They don't mark the fabric unless I mash it hard, and then it makes a fat line and distorts the weave of the threads. They do wash out, but they're basically useless if they're not going to mark easily.

I love handquilting, and I'd like to incorporate more complex stitch patterns into my quilts (I'd prefer to draw them on, rather than stenciling). I would like to find a pencil or chalk or something that can mark in a fine line, is *not* air soluble, and will wash out (obviously). I don't trust the washable ink markers, but if you can reassure me that they'll wash out completely, I might give it a go.

Any ideas?

I think I have a box of dress markers chalk - not sure if it will wash out or not - will check and get back to you

I use the Dritz Water Soluable pen and it works great. Has always washed out for me. Just don't heat set.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
    I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.

Blog Entries
    I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the earse it has.

I have used Drilz? chalk pencils and like them, but the line is not always as thin as I'd like. As far as the washable markers, my girls have t-shirts that have preprinted pictures on them (not colored in) and washable markers. They color the t-shirts and when they get washed the picture is blank again - all the marker comes out - and they can start over. I think I've washed 3-4 times now and the marker has always washed out. Try it on a pillow case or something - something you don't really care about. See if it works for you.

klc
    I like sewfine also.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I do a lot of hand quilting and I use quilter's pencils- usually the one that looks like a regular pencil.
    I haven't had any problems. I don't really trust the kind that are inky and wash out. I could be wrong on this but I've always worried about the ink reappearing.
    I've tried these, and liked them until I had to sharpen them. I tried several pencil sharpeners, and the lead always broke. How do you sharpen them?

I like my Sewline refillable pencil. It was a gift. Before that I used tailor chalk with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barb55
    I like Sewfine. After you sew through the marked line, you can brush it off or use the earse it has.
    I use Sewline too and they also wash out. They're great.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast