Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When do you move fabric from stash to scrap bin >

When do you move fabric from stash to scrap bin

When do you move fabric from stash to scrap bin

Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM

I've been cutting 2 1/2" squares out of my scrap bin. There are some pieces in there too small to cut that size. I think I'm going to have to donate those for stuffing to someone who makes doggy beds. I'm collecting 2 1/2" squares for another scrappy quilt. Some I cut, some I buy, and some are given to me. Need 864 of them. :-)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Anything that is within FQ-size goes in my stash.
Anything that is still foldable but smaller than a FQ - like broad strips and rectangles, go in the scrap bin sorted by colors.
Anything that is an off-cut or leftover bits from projects - like HSTs, skinny strips, go in gallon plastic bags sorted by color.

I use the scraps for crumb blocks and applique pieces. The larger pieces work well in strip quilts.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM

my scraps have been out of control, so I recently sat for 1 day going thru all of the pieces I considered scarp and cut (with an accuquilt) 3" tumblers, 6" tumblers, 5" squares and 3" hexagons. these will be used to make scrappy quilts, any small pieces left over went into the trash. hopefully I can keep the scraps under control by doing this.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM

All of the above PLus if i've used it in several quilts and am ttired of looking at it ......it goes in the scrap bag!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Anything smaller than 1/4 yard (fat or long) I move to scraps.
Me too, but I move them to the "send" bin. We have many scrappy quilters here and if I post offering it for postage, it always finds a happy home. Never had to throw any away.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM

When I read how organized some of you are I feel so lazy! I tried last winter to cut and organize scraps---decided that wasn't me! So now I have different plastic drawers for each color family and put most sizes in there--2 exceptions--all strips go into a strip bag for string quilts and smaller scraps get tossed into a bag by the machine to sew 2 together while using as leader/ender. I then toss it into another bag--a friend made an awesome quilt with her leaders/enders and neutral--that's my goal!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:25 PM

How about using the scraps in a gallon bag as stuffing for a throw pillow? I use my littlest scraps as doll pillow stuffing.

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I have seen gallon sized bags of scraps at the Restore store but I thought $5 was a lot for what was in it. I guess I am cheap. LOL I am quite proud of myself for keeping at it last week as I cut, cut and cut some more on my scraps. Still have quite a bit more to do but at least I have made a start. I want to do the Grand Illusion quilt with Bonnie Hunter and wanted some fabric organized before I start on that.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM

I have one of those cubbys for shoes...I took it over for scraps...if it's not big enough to fold into a piece but bigger than the pieces that go into my scrap bins then I fold it and put it in these small cubbies..comes in handy when I am doing appliqué and need small pieces..
Old 10-23-2014, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
How small a piece of fabric do you keep in your stash before moving it to the scrap bin? I spend over a week working on my stash bin cutting it into squares to cut down on the amount of scraps. I got about half of it done. Some of the squares were only about 1 1/2". Some bigger but I have some pieces in my stash that are 1/4 yds that have had some used out up out of it. Just wondered how big a piece you put in your scraps.
I put anything smaller than 1/4 yard in with my scraps........I save every piece that I can get a 1.5" square or larger cut from - then make 4 patches out of them.........Fabric is just too expensive to toss...
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM

My scraps are usually between 6" and 12" squarish. I went through recently and cut them all into 2.5" squares and am now using them for scrappies and paper piecing. Must admit that I would love to swap them out for fresh scraps. I have seen too many of these too often.

i did go through my stash and gave the furnishing weight fabric to a charity shop and I know it is too heavy for me to work with now!