Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

Power Poster

when you buy fabric, do you expect any extra length?

I know I am upset if I am shorted an 1/8 inch on a cut, and pleased to get extra.

When a piece is rotary cut, do ou expect to get the piece " cut to the neaarest thread" - or do you want/ expect " a litle extra"?

I am not aware of any other commodiity - such as meat , gold, gasoline - where we think we are entitled to " exrea"

I don't expect it...I just want what I pay for
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Both quilt shops near me cut it exactly to the measurement. That wouldn't bother me except fabric is so often on the bolt crooked that you always have to square it up and loose a bit. I just have come to realize you have to buy a bit extra to get what you need.

I make mostly scrappy quilts so I buy a lot of FQs. Some of them look like a first grader cut them. The LQS all have them neatly folded for display. I've gotten into the habit of unfolding the ones I want and checking them. I get frowns from some shop owners but I always neatly refold them. I do want what I pay for and don't expect extra whether yardage or pre-cuts.
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

I don't think I'm entitled to extra. I always round up to the nearest yard anyway or buy more than I need because I like the scraps.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I do expect that the yardage I purchase is all useable ( on grain). Some is cut and or wound on the bolt off grain, and I do expect that the person selling should make the adjustment so I get the purchased amount all useable on grain. Understanding that a bolt wound off grain is not the person cutting its fault ... but they(owner/manager) can make the rep for that line know it is a problem.

I buy extra but thats just me. I think of it this way, the shop did not load the fabric on the bolt. The company did that. If the shop owner gives an extra inch with every cut of fabric with 8 to 10 yds on a bolt it will add up. Fabric at 11 dollars a yd is to costly to do that anymore. I just buy extra.
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

I watch the cutter very closely to make sure it is straight and there are no flaws on the fabric. I only expect what I pay for but it is nice when they give you a little extra. I find a little extra when I order fabric and the exact cut more in shops.

Blog Entries
    I watch how they lay it out on the table and if the leading edge is not cut straight I bring that to their attention. As other posters have said, I don't expect extra, but I want to be able to use what I've paid for.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

The quilt shop owners know exactly how much that extra inch cost them and insist on no extra when cutting. The bigger fabric store employees aren't as particular about cutting to the exact inch. I had one quilt shop owner do the math and made me wait to charge me for 1/2" extra when I wanted a full repeat at the end. I didn't go back to that shop.
    I love my life!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast