Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where is the best place to "hide" less pretty blocks on a quilt??

Where is the best place to "hide" less pretty blocks on a quilt??

I've seen here a few times someone will give advice on where to hide you less favorite blocks on a quilt in spots that the eye doesn't catch as much as other places.

My quilt is going to be 5 blocks wide by 6 blocks high so not a lot of "hiding"places. There are a few fabrics from the fat quarter set I used that didn't work as well as the rest so I need to hide those as best as possible.

I am just finishing up the last 3 blocks and will then spread them out on the floor to start working on placement. Any advice would be welcome.

On the quilt back! ... Sorry just had to say it. I would not place in the center , or on the corners.

I wouldnt try to hide them, if they are all from the same fabric line, they should blend right in. you may not like them all by themselves, but after its sewn together, they will add to the quilt. Sometimes what we think is ugly, is a thing of beauty to someone else.

Blog Entries
    Next to the prettiest ones...they will make the pretty ones stand out!

I agree with Jackie...sometimes an individual block might not be to our liking, but in the whole of a quilt that changes. After I complete all the blocks, I lay them down on the floor and "audition" the blocks I'm not crazy about. Try them in different positions...sometimes they will help to balance out the color and then they blend better. If you can, leave the blocks spread out on the floor for a while, leave the room and come back later. I always tell DH that I am sneaking up on the quilt display....it seems to give you a different perspective. Good luck, maybe you could post pics?

If there's several of them, just scatter them throughout the quilt and they won't be noticed nearly as much. Or, replace them and use the ones that you don't care for to make a lap throw.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

I was taught that your eye travels from the center left side of the quilt up to the top and then down the right side to the bottom center. Almost like a question mark. If that is true then you should put them in the bottom right or left corners or areas. Also you could try different placements and use a door peep hole thing to view you quilt to find pleasing placement.

Viewing the quilt with a door peep is very helpful in finding the best placement for your blocks.
    Lorraine