Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to get fabric as a beginner? >

Where to get fabric as a beginner?

Where to get fabric as a beginner?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM

I just found Hawthornethreads.com and love the fact one can choose coordinating fabric. It is a useful site to help plan a quilt.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM

I shop around to all the ones already mentioned but as a beginner you might like the color match that Thousand bolts has. you pick out your main fabric and click on a color in it and they will send you to the color of fabrics that will match. for me that hs been a great help. good luck in our new ventures.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM

Your closet...If you are just starting out...I would not spend a lot of money since you are still learning how to match seams and the over all process. I found my closet has a lot of 100 percent cotton shirts that have hardly been use, but I never wear.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM

I like to order fabrics online from Whittle's, Stitch-n-Frame, The Spider's Web and Hancock's of Paducah among others.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by rosalynd View Post
So I have just jumped on the quilting bandwagon and have no stash to speak of.
In the past I have only done a few baby blankets and bought my fabric at Joann's. I'm sure there has to be a better place to go for quilting fabrics. I'm really looking for some nice old timey fabrics (florals, calicos, etc.). I'm not so into the bright colors and modern prints.
Any suggestions of where to look?
Set some time aside to forage thru all the local thrift and consignment shops. Yard sales will be starting big time. Gently used clothing, sheets, curtains are a great source of fabric----------------as long as you're not opposed to using a seam ripper.

And sometimes you can find fabric stashes as you're read here.

Look without much concern about immediate use-----------different colors and prints may come in handy down the road.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A STASH---------if you're more comfortable with buy by project.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
I was at Goodwill looking for fabric. No yardage there but I did notice bed skirts galore for 1.99 (twin)-3.99 (king). The fabric would equal several yards plus the white fabric of the bedskirt can be used too. I will continue to check the bed skirts when I go back.

ReStore always has many sheets to sell (some are new) as well as bed skirts, and some yardage.

If I am planning particular colors for a quilt, I go to Hancock's who is now having a 40% off quilting fabric sale, or to Hobby Lobby who always has their fabric for 30% off.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Forgot about bed skirts at thrift shops A great source of fabric. And the price is always low!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM

haven't read all the posts but don't forget to look in your closet for shirts, blouses, dresses, etc. Bonnie Hunter at quiltville.com has a good tute for de-boning a shirt. You can get lots of fabric from a large size shirt.