Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
where to go Minneapolis Minnesota >

where to go Minneapolis Minnesota

where to go Minneapolis Minnesota

Old 09-18-2013, 01:56 PM

Default where to go Minneapolis Minnesota

I am going to a conference, and will have some free times in the evenings. I want to find something to do, not far from the hotel, so I don't need pay for a taxi. The hotel is the Sofitel on West 78th in Bloomington.

I have googled and found a quilt shop "Mill End Textile" which is 3-5 miles from the hotel. All the others seem even further.

I tried looking on the Metro Transit for public transportation, I chose the 540 stop and the 684 stop and it seems to say "you can't get there from here"!

Does anyone know this area? Is that the closest quilt shop? Does transportation run in the evenings, and can you get from one to the other? Is this area safe to take public transport? Or walk half a mile to fast food if desired.

I also found a quilt guild that might be having a meeting that day, but they seem to be about 18 miles from the hotel. Sigh. I may just need to read a Jennifer Chiverini or Cindy Woodsmall or something.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:12 PM

I'm not familiar with that area other than to say that we also have Mill End Textiles in ND. I would not describe it as a quilt shop but rather a warehouse type fabric store. They do sell quilting cottons but not necessarily complete or current lines of fabric. You might be disappointed if you are expecting a quilt shop.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Many times the hotel shuttle will take you within 5 miles of the hotel. All you need to do is find an outlet mall or a fabric shop that close. Good luck! If all else fails take a hand project with you for the evenings. I like to take a "technique" quilt book so I can read about something new in the quilting world.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

I lived for many years in the Twin Cities. I don't know the Mill End store in Bloomington but, in general, the Mill End stores I have been to in the area are not really quilt shops; they are more like outlets for fabric -- all kinds. The ones I have been to carry mostly middle-of-the-road and low-end fabrics. I don't think I've ever seen any of the Kaufman, etc. lines in those stores. I think you would be disappointed.

The only quilt shop that I can recommend that is in Minneapolis is Glad Creations Quilt Block:
http://www.gladcreationsquilts.com/
It is packed floor to rafters with wonderful fabrics for quilting! However, it is open until 8:30 evenings only on Tuesday and some Mondays (call). Also, it is pretty far from the Sofitel in Bloomington and in an area where I would not feel safe taking public transportation at night, especially as a stranger in the area. If you can make it to Glad Creations, I think you would be very satisfied with the visit.

I lived in St. Paul so there may be other quilt shops in the southern suburbs that I don't know about. Hopefully someone else will!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 PM

I have gone to Mill End Textiles in Eden Prairie a few times. ANd there is another one also close to Bloomington but I can't remember which suburb. I personally like Mill End Textiles stores as I usually try to buy backing for my quilts there, as that is where I try to be conservative in my quilt making. Although I live 2 hours from the Cities and I also live 2 hours from St. Cloud but that is where I usually go to Mill End Textiles. In fact I was there yesterday and bought backing for a quilt that I need to get done for Christmas. Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 AM

Visit the Mall of America just for the experience.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the metro transit in the suburbs of the Twin Cities (including Bloomington) generally only goes to downtown Mpls and back. You would not be able to take the bus to Mill End. The Sofitel is in an extremely busy part of Bloomington and you will see when you get there that EVERYONE drives everywhere-lots of traffic. I can't really say that it's a bad area, but there is riff raff as in every busy city. I know you said you didn't want to take a taxi, but Mill End really isn't that far up the freeway from the Sofitel. I would definitely check to see if the hotel shuttle would take you there. Mill End is a fun place--lots of fabric both on bolts and folded remnants. They do have a website (www.millendtextiles.com). The website doesn't say much, but they should have coupons you can print. The current coupon flyer goes from Sept 15 to October 12. When are you coming?

Helen in WI
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM

Sadly I am pretty sure there are not any quilt stores near the Sofitel. Mill end is left overs mostly of fabric you would find at Joann's. Some of it is nice, just look carefully.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 AM

I did find the Glad Creations web site eventually, after my original post and further searching. I also managed to ge the Metro Transit to work for me.

Glad Creations is about 11 1/2 miles from the hotel.

It looks really nice. There is a bus that goes there, but takes an hour. It is Tuesday night I would be able to go, possibly, so that works out fine. But, with an hour bus ride each way, I wouldn't have much time to actually be at the store before it would be time to go back to the hotel! Sigh.............. I may just end up going to Mall of America, to see what it is like...you know, get that close, you gotta go! But, I don't see they have any fabric or craft to speak of.

Thanks all for input on Mill End.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that too - instead of the quilt shop. A bus runs almost door to door, and takes less than half an hour. Should be fun.