Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 PM

Default Where should a beginer begin?

Hi there, I have been sewing for years. Just bought a new Pfaff with all these quilting options. So I am looking to move on to quilting projects. The problem is there is so much info out there that I dont know where to start. I have bought a rotary cutter and a cutting mat.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I have been looking into quilting classes, but there is not any that start for a couple months where I am, and I want to start something now!

Thanks for the info!
Beth
Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 AM

Hello and welcome to the board! You don't say which country you're in, but I would go to the local library and get a couple of books out. Also, some quilting magazines have basic instructions on how to quilt.

Can you sew already? (I couldn't thread a machine before I learned to quilt!) If so, quilting uses 1/4" seams unlike dressmaking. ALWAYS cut away from you and remember to keep your fingers away from the edge of the ruler!

Jenny Doan of Missouri Star - here - has a lovely relaxed way with tutorials which involve the use of pre-cuts which may be a good introduction.

Happy quilting! (WARNING - it's addictive!)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 AM

Go ahead and get signed up for a Quilting 101 class as soon as you can. In the meantime go on the internet and find a free pattern for a small quilt (baby/crib) or placemats or pot holders and jump right in! Before my class I bought 2 charm packs and cut them in halves and quarters and pieced them together into a really cute baby quilt top. But I didn't know how to sandwich it all together, quilt it and put on the binding until I took the class. But there are lots of great basic quilting books and web tutorials you can review to pick up these basics too.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Reb

You might see if there is a quilt guild in your area. There you can get some personal advice. Sometimes quilting groups might be associated with a church. A fabric shop might recommend a quilt group or the dealer who sold you your machine. You are familiar with sewing, that is a great ways ahead right there. Quick Quilts magazine is a good starting magazine. Welcome to a wonderful community and good luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:34 AM

hi Beth Welcome to this board from Quebec city
As it's been said, I started with a 3 day class for small projects: pot holder, placemats. I had a book my sister-in-law lent me and it's been my reference book for many years.
I thought I would give you a link to tutorials of Jenny Doan from Missouri Star. She makes it look easy and fun and there are way to many quilts ideas there so watch out, your list for future quilts will get longer and longer
http://quiltingtutorials.com/

One other site that I started with is quilter's cache http://www.quilterscache.com/

You tube has a lot of very helpful video
and
http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...ke_a_quilt.htm
Have fun and show us your "first steps" and your progress.
that's what this board is all about "show and tell" and encouragement and advices!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 AM

I am a self taught quilter coming from a garment/home dec background. I was fortunate enough to be able to watch Alex Anderson on TV at the time. I would suggest getting a pattern you like for something small - table topper/baby quilt and just jump in. Most patterns/books will have basic info included in them - just check. I'm not a fan of pre-cuts but that's just me. There are some great patterns for the various pre-cuts out there that might tickle your fancy. The local library is a wonderful resource. Ours also hosts a quilting group weekly. Yours might also and they may be thrilled to have you join them.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Beginner class at Craftsy would be my suggestion. http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Start small and work your way up to a quilt.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 AM

Welcome to the board!

Start small, as others have said. Do sign up for a beginning class. Watch videos, visit LQS (local quilt shop).

Enjoy!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM

I was a seamstress from childhood but only started quilting about 9 years ago, i checked books out of the library, looked online and just did it...I started with baby quilts and went from there, it is truly addictive but oh, so much fun!!!!