Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt for beginer - what size to make? >

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:21 AM

I want to start with my first quilt and I already have a simple pattern that I found on about.com that I really like

My question is what size is the most popular? queen, king or something else?

thanks

I want the size that sells the most.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

A little smaller quilt for your first one may be helpful. Many of us make throw quilts that are around 60 X 72. Great for tv watching and big enough to share. They seem to sell quickly too, less expensive than a bed quilt :D:D:D
Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM

I would make your 1st quilt a baby or lap quilt until you learn the basics. Too many start a large quilt & get furstrated when things don't line up & unfortunately give up.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM

For your first quilt, I would focus more on what size you think you can finish. The first ones I've pieced are lap sized, with two that look like they'll finish as doubles much farther down the queue. The first one I machine quilted was a baby quilt - so I got to experience moving the quilt through the machine and maneuvering it.

The reason I would go with a smaller size is so that you can practice the various stages without getting frustrated or discouraged by something unwieldy. Eventually I plan on a queen for my bed, but for now, I'm sticking to the smaller ones.

Cheers, K
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 AM

Make it Lap Size or Crib Size. A first quilt is quite a challenge and making your project one that doesn't go on for years is a plus!

(you mention selling it----word to the wise---accept that you will be paid a minimal amount per hour for all of your work---Calling making quilts a Labor of Love is not coincidental......)
Old 05-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Perhaps makng a tv lap robe size quilt would be nice? Say 45" x 60"? Choose the colors you enjoy, and a print backing.

You can do it...we allstarted somewhere, right?
Julie

Perhaps makng a tv lap robe size quilt would be nice? Say 45" x 60"? Choose the colors you enjoy, and a print backing.

You can do it...we allstarted somewhere, right?
Julie
Power Poster

If you are totally unfamiliar with sewing - keep it fairly small -

I find what I call couch size to be very useful - and I could still get it through my machine - approximately 60 x 80 (or up to 65 x 85) - like Amma said. This is absolutely the largest size that I would suggest for a beginner.

One reason is to keep the cost down - before you spend a lot and decide this isn't as much fun as you thought it would be.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

Definitely DONT START with a large quilt especially if this is your first one. Too many beginning quilters get discouraged in the time it takes to complete a large quilt.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Are you going to do all the work yourself? Or are you planning to take it to someone who has a long-arm? I'm still new at this too and having a great time! I prefer lap and baby quilts because I can say that I DID IT ALL MYSELF! My machine won't fit anything larger. I hate the idea that I couldn't take credit for all of it if I sent it off to be quilted! Guess it's time for me to go to the LQS for long arm lessons and branch out :)

Just food for thought...