Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilt for beginer - what size to make? >

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

New Quilt for beginer - what size to make?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM

wowzers! did you complete it? was it a nightmare? do tell about the experience.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Sounds like an awful lot for a walking foot! I think mine was only $20-25.
I was thinking the same thing. I purchased one at JoAnn's for around that or a little lower. I got to thinking that maybe what I got wasn't a real walking foot. It said walking foot of the package. Maybe if you have a fancy machine they cost that much, but it sure sounds like a lot.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM

yeah, I love the computerized equipment these days, I'm a computer nerd myself, just built my last computer, overclocked it and yes, it's water cooled!

So I'll admit I'm a sucker for gizmo's and gadgets and wizbangs and whatever else you can computerize and I love the Bernina, it is a great machine, but I think doing it all over again. I'd think I would just head down to Joann's and buy me a simpler singer computerized sewing machine for tons less and then put the thousands of other dollars into a Baby Loc Evolution serger!! ooo man, one of those is calling out ot me!!

so, sorry, got off track I say all that to say that yes, because of a big name you're going to pay more for accesories for it.

I used to be into photography about 20 yrs ago and I'm a Nikon man, but when it came to buying lenses and flashes, etc it was about double to the other major players!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
Originally Posted by ssgramma
Sounds like an awful lot for a walking foot! I think mine was only $20-25.
I was thinking the same thing. I purchased one at JoAnn's for around that or a little lower. I got to thinking that maybe what I got wasn't a real walking foot. It said walking foot of the package. Maybe if you have a fancy machine they cost that much, but it sure sounds like a lot.
Bernina walking feet are hideously expensive. Actually a lot of the feet are quite expensive. But they are very well made.

Cheers, K
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM

my 1/4" foot with guide came today, with shipping it was just shy of $52 and this is a rather "normal" foot.

Most of the feet for the Bernina at my dealer are in the high fortys, to mid fifties and then up!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM

I started with a table runner. Then a lap quilt for my grandson. If you start to big, you could find yourself getting discourged real quick. Work your way up to the big ones.......... :P
Old 05-27-2011, 05:10 PM

My advice to you is to make your first quilt without the thought of selling it. Focus on the process and learn the techniques. If you enjoy quilting then after much practice consider selling. Go to craft fairs in your area to get an idea of what type quilted items are being sold and what they are selling for. I wish you well as you enter the wonderful world of quilting.

Lisa