Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: make 1/2 sq triangle to make the size of finished 3 1/2'' sq

Blog Entries

make 1/2 sq triangle to make the size of finished 3 1/2'' sq

I need help. I need to make 1/2 sq triangle to make the size of finished 3 1/2'' sq. I need the formula to what size strips to cut. With sewing down the center/corner to corner. And then sewing 1/4''on the opposite side of the center line. Don-isewman
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-23-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Hi Don. I would cut 4.5" squares, draw line diagonally, stitch on both sides, cut and press them (you will get two) then trim the 1/8" off to get a perfect HST. Try it on a scrap of fabric and see if that is the size you want. That will give you a 4" unfinished HST. You posted this is the right place.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I like to use Thangles for HST's. They come out right every time. It's just my personal preference.

I believe the formula for figuring the size of HSTs is to take the size and add 7/8", so for 3-1/2" HSTs, you'd start with a 4-3/8" square. However, since cutting anything in 1/8" increments is a pain, I do the same thing Maniac does, make the squares 4-1/2" and then trim. Eleanor Burns has a Triangle Square Up Ruler that makes trimming easy, because you trim the triangle before you press it open, so you only have to make two cuts.

I usually give myself the full extra inch and then trim. I don't draw lines but rather I iron one square on the diagonal and use that for my middle and sew 1/4 inch from that. It seems to go faster for me than drawing either the diagonal or both 1/4 inch lines. And with the extra 1/8th inch, I have never had one be too small.

I agree, I always give myself that extra 1/8 inch for squaring, regardless of the method. I want to have enough to square up, which I always do.

....if you are going to make many, many look into either thangles or triangles on a roll....fast, accurate..downside is ripping papers...but saves time in a long run

Check our https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L43Uc9H_RUA

This is Missouri Star Quilt easy way to make triangles. Don't know the beginning size but it would be work experimenting with to use this method. good luck.

I use the Missouri Star method. You get 8 hst out of 2 large squares. I don't know how to figure out the size of size of the big the squares

Okay, Don-isewman, I just finished make 140 blocks which each required 4 triangle squares each being 3 1/2" when squared up. Here is how I did it. I cut two 8" squares and laid them on top of each other right sides together. Then i drew lines in the middle of each side to form the box, see my picture. Then I sewed 1/4 inch from each of the drawn lines on each side. I just started sewing around and I did put pins where the lines were to hold them in place. Cut down the middle of the block both ways and then cut on the middle line of each of the four blocks. Ended up with 8 blocks when I was done. I pressed them open, trimmed to 3 1/2" as necessary and the second picture showed just a small stack and the third picture shows all of them done and ready to start sewing. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 12-25-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    Busy in Ohio

Be aware when using the Missouri Star Quilt Co with Jenny, many, many times, her methods produce biased edges. You really have to pay attention when sewing them to avoid stretching. Better too use the stitch across (corner to corner) method. When trying to figure out the size squares need to make a certain size square, add 7/8" ( or one inch and trim).
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I use Triangulations, then the HST come out perfect, no squaring up, no trimming required...

I have seen directions to do as QuiltingHaven does, but use a very large fabric to start. If you want to make 100's of the same HST's, use fabric big enough to make most of them at one time. For the 3 1/2 finished HST's each section need to be 4 1/2. So two pieces of fabric 9" X18" RST would make 16 HST's. 18 X 18 would yield 32 etc.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I'm not new to thread but first time post in. Just wanted to know if I'm missing something. Why can you not iron a folded crease on square to do triangles then sew on either side instead of all the marking. This seems to work faster for me. You ladies and gentlemen are so helpful so very curious if I'm missing something. Enjoy all soooo much!!

That's what I do (the +7/8th thing) and it works well.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    I believe the formula for figuring the size of HSTs is to take the size and add 7/8", so for 3-1/2" HSTs, you'd start with a 4-3/8" square. However, since cutting anything in 1/8" increments is a pain, I do the same thing Maniac does, make the squares 4-1/2" and then trim. Eleanor Burns has a Triangle Square Up Ruler that makes trimming easy, because you trim the triangle before you press it open, so you only have to make two cuts.
    This is exactly how I make them. I love the Triangle Square Up Ruler from Eleanor Burns.
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

You add 7/8 inch to the finished size of the finished HST.

I learned about the easy angler ruler from Bonnie Hunter to make hst's and really liked it. You see how she uses it either on her web site or just go to youtube.