Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should I start?? >

Where should I start??

Where should I start??

Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 PM

Default Where should I start??

I just got these two new quilt books in the mail this week. I am so excited about them both. My question is "Where do I start?" I really wanted to do this needle turn applique. But, man, oh, man, those blocks to diamond quilts look awesome!! So, where would you start???
Attached Thumbnails 100_8045.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

WOW, nothing easy. What tickled your fancy for buying the books?? That is where I would start. Just make sure you are having FUN !!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM

at the beginning.

aileen, feeling helpful!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Start one from both....I often work on 2 projects at once these days, as a matter of fact I have about a dozen going right now.....
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Oh honey, you have to ask ME that after the pkg that you just sent me?? I have this beautiful wedding quilt laid out on my dining room floor and those paisleys are screaming at me because I have this really interesting idea but then I hear these tiny whispers from this beautiful group of Stonehenge graduated black to whites that keep niggling and niggling but I need to sew those wedding quilt blocks together so that I can get it to the LA'r and they are going to be an absolute (deleted!!!) because I didn't like the original layout and HAD to make the dang thing harder by now involving a pile of partial seams.....oh yeah what was your question??
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM

I would make the AOTH a travel/TV time quilt while working on the other on the machine because the AOTH will take a lot longer than the diamond quilt so if you work on it on the side you can take your time. I have been contemplating buying the embroidery version of AOTH because I love it so much but don't have the book or time to do needle turn. Good luck with your decision
Old 06-13-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Oh honey, you have to ask ME that after the pkg that you just sent me?? I have this beautiful wedding quilt laid out on my dining room floor and those paisleys are screaming at me because I have this really interesting idea but then I hear these tiny whispers from this beautiful group of Stonehenge graduated black to whites that keep niggling and niggling but I need to sew those wedding quilt blocks together so that I can get it to the LA'r and they are going to be an absolute (deleted!!!) because I didn't like the original layout and HAD to make the dang thing harder by now involving a pile of partial seams.....oh yeah what was your question??
The trouble is that I know what you are talking about. I have about 10 different ones going already and I can't finish one of them cause I work on one a while and then go to another one. Currently I am working on a beautiful red, white and black one that I still like finishing up the dresden plates that I am bordering it with. Then I have my 4 patch posie, a drunkard path, another stack and whack that I'm making out of Indian panels, another drunkard path, a deer quilt , a black and white star,........ the list goes on and on!!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Ohhhh I would love to see the the S&W from the Indian panels! I've been wondering if the pattern was possible to do with panels and how it would look. How about making a deal with yourself--finish (or spend one day on) one project and then, as a reward, allow yourself to make one block from the Affairs of the Heart book--or maybe the Diamonds book--yeah I'm not much help am I.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM

You know that I am the worst one to give advice, but...since you are so good at handwork, perhaps starting with an applique block would be fun. But yet....perhaps starting on a machine project would be a good place to start.....
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Ohhhh I would love to see the the S&W from the Indian panels! I've been wondering if the pattern was possible to do with panels and how it would look. How about making a deal with yourself--finish (or spend one day on) one project and then, as a reward, allow yourself to make one block from the Affairs of the Heart book--or maybe the Diamonds book--yeah I'm not much help am I.
I have a lot of the blocks made but haven't got them arranged and put together yet. But, I can tell you one thing, its gonna be pretty!!