Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where would you,visit? >

Where would you,visit?

Where would you,visit?

Old 07-13-2016, 04:04 AM

Default Where would you,visit?

If you could visit any quilt shop, or shops, in the United States, which one, or ones, would you go to? I live in NC and have been to Mary Jo's in Gastonia. I would like to go to Missouri Star and Hancock's in Paducah.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I would head for Ohio to visit the Fabric Shack. They have always been helpful when I have asked for help, they have quality fabric on sale all the time and very reasonable shipping charges (hlaf of of priority shipping). I would just want to say thanks for all the orders they have shipped to me.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 AM

I was thinking Mary Jo's in Gastonia! But I second Fabric Shack. They have great customer service and like Maniac Quilter said, reasonable shipping that just got more reasonable recently, $3 for up to $100 and then free. Yes, this is a permanent thing.

I'm trying to think of any place in my neck of the woods that is a destination. Maybe Fabric Depot in Portland. Great sales, but I've never been there. Add them to my list.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 AM

I think I would go to shows. Last year my Guild had a bus to Houston. It was fantastic. If I were to limit it to shops, I would do another shop hop in Central Florida. It seems like the shops are all about 20 - 30 minutes apart. I am sure there are other places in the country that are the same.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 AM

I would like to visit Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville AK.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

I would have to say MSQC and Hancock's in Paducah also. They would be on my way to see my kids up north.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I've been to many of the bigger well known ones. Keepsakes, Hancock's of Paducah, Stitching Heaven, Quilt in a Day, Connecting Threads, Nancy Notions, Accuquilt, Annies before it became Annie's (still all crochet), and many lovely grand shops I've forgotten the names of until I see them. Next on my list is Missouri Star. That will be a weekend get away when I have the feeling of me time needed.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 AM

Foust Textiles during there two open weekends each year (February and August) in Kings Mountain NC - You can buy whole bolts for $3-5 per yard. They do have some prefolds they sell by the pound and I figured out after I got home in February that they ended up less than $2 per yard. I am hitting that section first in August!

Marshall Dry Goods

Hancocks of Paducah

Honestly I live 30-45 minutes from MaryJos in Gastonia and it is just not what it used to be. A much lower level of quilt fabric inventory and higher prices since MaryJo turned the business over to her kids. I have a friend who was friends with MJ and MJ's goal was to not charge more than 30% over wholesale to keep quilting affordable. Now they charge at least 100% over wholesale. They clearanced out a lot of the old fabric and no longer have scrap bins. If I were very close I would stop if I had nothing else to do, but wouldn't make a trip out of it!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 AM

Wow, too bad about MaryJo's! I visited there once several years ago and loved it.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM

I am hoping to do a road trip to MSQC. It will be about 30 hours driving from my home, so I will have to map out lots of stops along the way. I would do it in about 3 days out and perhaps a few more on the way home.

I also want to plan a trip to Portland. It is much closer to home, I could easily drive there in a day.