Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where would you,visit? >

Where would you,visit?

Where would you,visit?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM

I think you have to consider MSQC at a different level. With them you are not visiting a quilt shop, you are visiting a fabric town. Not only do they have all the different storefronts, but the retreat center, the 'man caves' and the new restaurants that only exist because of the fabric! I think of this as more of a destination event than a visit.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Foust Textiles during there two open weekends each year (February and August) in Kings Mountain NC - You can buy whole bolts for $3-5 per yard. They do have some prefolds they sell by the pound and I figured out after I got home in February that they ended up less than $2 per yard. I am hitting that section first in August!

Marshall Dry Goods

Hancocks of Paducah

Honestly I live 30-45 minutes from MaryJos in Gastonia and it is just not what it used to be. A much lower level of quilt fabric inventory and higher prices since MaryJo turned the business over to her kids. I have a friend who was friends with MJ and MJ's goal was to not charge more than 30% over wholesale to keep quilting affordable. Now they charge at least 100% over wholesale. They clearanced out a lot of the old fabric and no longer have scrap bins. If I were very close I would stop if I had nothing else to do, but wouldn't make a trip out of it!
luvspaper, I have to agree with you that Mary Jo's is NOT the same as it used to be!! Since her son took over, the bargains just are not there. I used to live less than a mile from there, and I still pass it every day on my commute. I don't make any "special trips" there anymore. I'll be going soon, just to get my row-by-row kit, and drool over the multi-needle embroidery machine, but it's not a "regular visit" for me anymore.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Burkholder's

Burkholder's in Denver, PA (near Lancaster) I have never seen so much fabric!!!

If you could visit any quilt shop, or shops, in the United States, which one, or ones, would you go to? I live in NC and have been to Mary Jo's in Gastonia. I would like to go to Missouri Star and Hancock's in Paducah.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:03 PM

I would really like to see MSQC. Its about 9 hours from me. I don't think my hubby really cares to go there, but perhaps a weekend trip for just me!!

And now I have other shops to explore online that I was not previously aware of thanks to others wish lists!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 04:45 PM

This list that everyone has shared sounds perfect.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM

If you travel to Columbus Ohio, make sure your stop in at Quilt Trends.

I also enjoy the Shipshewana, IN area for something different.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

I myself would love to go to MSQC.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Foust Textiles during there two open weekends each year (February and August) in Kings Mountain NC - You can buy whole bolts for $3-5 per yard. They do have some prefolds they sell by the pound and I figured out after I got home in February that they ended up less than $2 per yard. I am hitting that section first in August!

Marshall Dry Goods

Hancocks of Paducah

Honestly I live 30-45 minutes from MaryJos in Gastonia and it is just not what it used to be. A much lower level of quilt fabric inventory and higher prices since MaryJo turned the business over to her kids. I have a friend who was friends with MJ and MJ's goal was to not charge more than 30% over wholesale to keep quilting affordable. Now they charge at least 100% over wholesale. They clearanced out a lot of the old fabric and no longer have scrap bins. If I were very close I would stop if I had nothing else to do, but wouldn't make a trip out of it!
As a bride, and then as a mother and grandmother, I have loved Mary Jo's. I first went there in the 1950's when her store was in one side of a hardware store in Dallas, NC, and had a special room for the then popular polyester fabrics. Then, I bought and sewed fabric for 3 daughters, etc. A trip to Mary Jo's (30 minutes away) was always exciting.
Now, however, her children have ruined the store. High prices, too much crafty stuff, not enough baby flannels, expensive thread, etc.
As an old lady, this is very disappointing!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the news on MaryJo's. I've always love that store but haven't been in a while. Things change--nothing stays the same!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:52 AM

I chuckled several times while reading the posts! I happen to be in Central Florida for vacation and plan to visit a few of the shop hop stores which, coincidentally, begins tomorrow! My husband favorite woodworking store happens to be within a mile of the Fabric Superstore so it's a win/win.

I have to echo the story about the Fabric Depot in Portland. We were in Portland visiting our son so I took the train out to Fabric Depot. Wow! I hit upon their huge sale and bought so much fabric I had to buy a carry on bag so that my suitcase didn't exceed the fifty pound weight limit on the plane!

i know that many of you travel I75 through Georgia. I strongly suggest a stop at Scarlet Thread, exit 221. It's about four miles off the exit but the displays are inspirational and the staff is fell of southern hospitality! Be sure to meet the store owner, Karen, who will make you feel warm all over with her love of quilting!