View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 AM
Kimcatlou

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Foust Textiles during there two open weekends each year (February and August) in Kings Mountain NC - You can buy whole bolts for $3-5 per yard. They do have some prefolds they sell by the pound and I figured out after I got home in February that they ended up less than $2 per yard. I am hitting that section first in August!

Marshall Dry Goods

Hancocks of Paducah

Honestly I live 30-45 minutes from MaryJos in Gastonia and it is just not what it used to be. A much lower level of quilt fabric inventory and higher prices since MaryJo turned the business over to her kids. I have a friend who was friends with MJ and MJ's goal was to not charge more than 30% over wholesale to keep quilting affordable. Now they charge at least 100% over wholesale. They clearanced out a lot of the old fabric and no longer have scrap bins. If I were very close I would stop if I had nothing else to do, but wouldn't make a trip out of it!
As a bride, and then as a mother and grandmother, I have loved Mary Jo's. I first went there in the 1950's when her store was in one side of a hardware store in Dallas, NC, and had a special room for the then popular polyester fabrics. Then, I bought and sewed fabric for 3 daughters, etc. A trip to Mary Jo's (30 minutes away) was always exciting.
Now, however, her children have ruined the store. High prices, too much crafty stuff, not enough baby flannels, expensive thread, etc.
As an old lady, this is very disappointing!