Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
White fabric? >

White fabric?

White fabric?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 PM

I use Kona white also, and the rest of the line in the colors that I use. It feels sturdier than most white fabrics out there. I save my 50% coupons from Joanns so I can buy a bolt of Kona when it is not on sale, making it $3 per yard.

Diane
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM

As for sheet useage. I was told that sheets are hard to handquilt through. I guess if you machine quilt it doesn't matter, but I have avoided the use of sheets because of being told it is harder to pull the needle through.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by shirleysonshine
As for sheet useage. I was told that sheets are hard to handquilt through. I guess if you machine quilt it doesn't matter, but I have avoided the use of sheets because of being told it is harder to pull the needle through.
Don't get a high count sheet. Get a 200 count or under, it's like quilting cotton. Feel the sheet before buying and stay away from the high counts. AND, if you are going to machine quilt it doesn't matter. The main problem with the higher counts is the thread can be severed while stitching and if you hand quilt it is harder.

I did a crazy quilt earlier this year and I used sheets as my foundation fabric and I had no problems at all.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM

i like moda fabrics there very nice
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 AM

I don't have an answer for you because I use mostly tone-on-tones when I need a white because I like the texture it brings in. I just have to reply, though, to tell you that if that cute little boxer face were looking at me, I'd never get any quilting done! What a cutie!!!

Originally Posted by Dingle
I really don't have any plain white fabric in my stash. I guess I tend to shy away from it because all I ever seem to find is thin stuff you can see through. Well now I'm needing some. What white fabric should I buy?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 AM

This is so apropos! I just began a white and 30's bow tie quilt because I saw one online. My guild is doing blocks for me as a friendship quilt. Here is a pic of what we're making. I wish I could remember where I got the picture to give credit. Please forgive me for that. I love it and it is gorgeous. There are so many ways to arrange the bow tie blocks, too.

I really think 30s look best with pure white, not off white. Pure white seems to bring out the crispness and clear colors of the 30s.

Originally Posted by Dingle
Thanks for all the replies. I have some 30's repros that I'm going to use and have never used white before. I'm thinking I should use a plain white and not a tone on tone. Or maybe an off white. I just need to figure what pattern to do.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85957.jpe  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM
cka

I usually choose WOW for the softness and crispness it gives. I also like the Kona Bay fabrics; Kona feels harsh to my fingers. I'm going to look for the other whites mentioned. Good luck on your choices.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Just bought some Kona yesterday.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dmackey
I use Kona white also, and the rest of the line in the colors that I use. It feels sturdier than most white fabrics out there. I save my 50% coupons from Joanns so I can buy a bolt of Kona when it is not on sale, making it $3 per yard.

Diane
there's a coupon right now. if you don't have it, i'll give the link:

if i lose this, i'll add it in a second.

http://www.joann-mail.com/J1081LVS/c...44CFE6B18B7C04

i think that works. be sure and check the expiration date. i used it today and printed out 4.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM

i always buy kona for white