Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White fabric wrinkles

Thumbs up White fabric wrinkles

I bought the first white at my LQS and paid about $8.00 a yard. I was so disappointed. I ended up pressing it before I gave it away as a gift. Today I went to Joanns to get solid white fabric. All of the fabric said wash cold, delicate cycle. I prewashed the fabric as directed and air dried. This is the second white fabric I have purchased that wrinkles so badly. What do you ladies who quilt a lot use. I can't believe quilt fabric that has to washed on delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna in Mo View Post
    I bought the first white at my LQS and paid about $8.00 a yard. I was so disappointed. I ended up pressing it before I gave it away as a gift. Today I went to Joanns to get solid white fabric. All of the fabric said wash cold, delicate cycle. I prewashed the fabric as directed and air dried. This is the second white fabric I have purchased that wrinkles so badly. What do you ladies who quilt a lot use. I can't believe quilt fabric that has to washed on delicate.
    It doesn't have to be washed on delicate. Cotton is not a delicate. Cotton wrinkles. Some more than others. I use Best Press to get the wrinkles out.

Yep...you just learn how to love ironing. I line dry all the time, just bring it off the line when it is still slightly damp and then spray starch it to death.

Probably a no no but I don't prewash my fabrics. I've never had issues.
    *Rachel*

I have not used much white since my first quilt. I do not prewash so I am not sure if/why white would wrinkle up more than any other color. I do use delicate with the finished quilt, but only because my regular cycle (german washer) takes 1:45 minutes. delicate only takes 1:09!

I use wihite on white all the time in my quilts And yes, cotton wrinkles and needs to be ironed. But I do find some is better than others. Depends on the maker. I use hot water, and it all goes in the dryer allthough I try and take it out while slightly damp so it presses easier.

I never pre wash either, been quilting since mid 70's and never had a problem, not even with reds.

Blog Entries
    Drying on the energy saving cycle is about right the right degree of damp to iron the wrinkles.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

iron the fabric when it is still damp-and use starch or sizing if needed- it's not just whites- most cottons (unless permenent press) need to be ironed after washing- its just the nature of the beast. why are you air drying? generally cottons are washed- regular cycle- tossed into the dryer- take them out before over-drying- especially if you are (pre-shrinking) the dryer heat helps with that.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Mary Ellen's Best Press. Hands down better than starch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast