Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has used variegated thread for quilting?

Blog Entries
    I've never used variegated thread, so I'm looking for some recommendations. I know King Tut is supposed to be good, but I'm sure there are other brands -- just don't know what they are. King Tut changes color every inch; is this too quick for some people? Also, I'm unsure about what type of thread to use in the bobbin. Is this what So Fine and Bottom Line are for?

I'm not planning on small stippling, if that makes a difference. The quilting shapes will be an inch or two apart.

I do, all the time. I use Red Star. I love it.

I think about every brand has it....so what ever is your favorite. :D

I love, love, love King Tut. I use it BECAUSE it changes so often. I have a quilt done long before I started longarming. She used a variegated that changed about every 6". The design is too easily lost when the thread changes that far apart.

King Tut. GET IT!!!!

Banned
    Yes, I have used it, am currently using sandstone for my outline quilting by hand a scrap quilt. Love the varigated!

Sorry - it's "Star" brand - not "Red Star"

I also love love LOVE King Tut!!!!

I use variegated threads all the time in my quilting. The brand on my machine at the moment is Coats and Clark, I have used Star, Gutermann, Valdani, Connecting Threads's Essential, though I have one spool of blue and white that my machine did not like at all, which is why I have the Coats and Clark in the machine, I needed another blue and white and that's the closest to the previous color. I have used plenty of other Essential Threads with no problem so I don't know what happened. I have only used one King Tut, it is good thread but hard to find in my area. The think I have mostly YLI's in my thread collection in the variegated.

I got my variegated thread from Connecting Threads and I love it.

I like Sulky Blendables; it is 30 wt, and I find it a bit more forgiving (very nice, since I'm still getting the hang of free motion!) The colors change about every 2 1/2 - 5 inches. I use So Fine in the bobbin, and adjust my tension to 1.6 on my Designer 1.

Here's a pic of the throw I'm currently working on with it. I've put it on hold for the moment, since DH is promising to get my table finished today. Otherwise, I'm fighting a 3 1/2" drop between the machine bed and the table top (double yuck!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast