Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh! First wholecloth and used variegated thread...are the quilt police on the way??!!

I am learning to hand quilt, so I purchased a pre-printed mini wholecloth to practice on. I was having fun when I realized that all of the wholecloths I see are made with the same color thread. I bought some variegated (Carribean Sea) and I've been using that on natural wholecloth. How big of an oops is that? Will the quilt police show up soon? :) Thanks for all of your help.

It's your quilt so you can do anything you want to.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    What quilt police? In my world anything goes. If you are happy with it who cares what others think.

One more thing. Wool batting is very different than I thought it would be. I thought it would be dense and itchy for some reason, but I love it! It seems softer and easier to work with than cotton batting. Just FYI.

Blog Entries
    No Quilt Police here! If you are happy with it, that is all that counts. Many people use natural on a natural wholecloth(including me) because it covers those boo boos.

Blog Entries
    There are rave reviews for wool batting. I just stay away from wool because it makes me itch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    No Quilt Police here! If you are happy with it, that is all that counts. Many people use natural on a natural wholecloth(including me) because it covers those boo boos.
    That makes sense. Well, bought it to practice on, so if I don't like the colored thread, I can take it out. Good to know there are no hard and fast rules about wholecloth.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    What quilt police? In my world anything goes. If you are happy with it who cares what others think.
    Thanks! I feel better now. :)

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    Wool batting doesn't make me itch, altho wool sweaters, etc certainly do! It's like quilting thro butter IMO. And re: variegated thread, if you like it, go for it. It IS your quilt after all. And if you run into a PMS-ing quilt police, not to worry. No jury of your peers would ever convict you!!

Quote Originally Posted by kayquilt
    It's your quilt so you can do anything you want to.
    I really appreciate that. Thank you.

If you like it, who cares what other have done in the past. Maybe you'll start a new fad when we get to see the pictures of it.
    Have fun with it.
    Carol B

You'd better hide, I think I hear the sirens off in the distance.

I think variegated might be very interesting on a whole cloth, look forward to seeing it.

About wool batting... should it be washed first? I read some stories about it shrinking horribly when the quilt was washed after quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I think variegated might be very interesting on a whole cloth, look forward to seeing it.

About wool batting... should it be washed first? I read some stories about it shrinking horribly when the quilt was washed after quilting.
    Well, I decided to take it out and start over. Thanks for encouraging me anyway.

I don't know about the wool, should I wash it? This is the time to do it, before I start again.

bkb
    We might send a "Quilt Inspector" to you but not the police!

Quote Originally Posted by bkb
    We might send a "Quilt Inspector" to you but not the police!
    LOL! Do yorkies count as quilt inspectors? My pup Gizmo just loves the quilts I work on. He lays on the half I'm not working on. :)

bkb
    IMHO a quilt inspector is any live creature that sniffs, pulls, climbs, or lays on a quilt. Yes Yorkies are inspectors!

Well, I decided to take it out and start over. Thanks for encouraging me anyway.

What!! Before you showed us. How disappointing. Was looking forward to seeing how it looked. Oh well,maybe another time.
    You're right, it's yours to do with as you please. Hope you're happier with it this time.

I think if that's what you wanted to use it's fine. It might even add a whole new dimension to your quilt.

I got the wholecloth mini that was posted on here a while back and was wondering if pressing it would set the blue ink. Does anyone know? I've emailed the company and asked but no response so far. If it won't, I'm planning on using Prismacolor pencils on it before I quilt it.

I did one with colored thread
    and I love the way it looked!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I often use thread a few shades darker or lighter than the fabric for my wholecloths because the quilting stands out and that looks interesting. The important thing is that YOU like it! It's your quilt!
    Please show some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I got the wholecloth mini that was posted on here a while back and was wondering if pressing it would set the blue ink. Does anyone know? I've emailed the company and asked but no response so far. If it won't, I'm planning on using Prismacolor pencils on it before I quilt it.
    As far as I know the inks on the preprinted tops can be set when you iron them and the producers suggest not to do it.

Blog Entries
    i have seen a couple 'breath=taking' whole cloth quilts that were done with colors, varigated and regular colors. They were absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! i don't think you have anything to worry about! practice with whatever you want.

Michelle....Is that a pre printed Christmas Tree skirt? It is so beautiful! Can you let me know if you made it or bought it preprinted? I would love to make one...Thanks....
    Laura

I have seen whole cloth quilts done with variegated (and sometimes just solid color) thread and they are lovely. I haven't used wool batting, so can't help you there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast