Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LAQ and variegated thread >

LAQ and variegated thread

LAQ and variegated thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

I am wondering if other LAQ can put variegated thread in the top of their machine and also the bobbin?

I have been advised against this by many LAQ ...I have had training by instructors that have Gammil, INNOVA and A-1.

I have tried just putting variegated in my bobbin and having a solid color in my top and it still didn't work right. I am not sure if this is just me or a general rule.

Any information would be appreciated..thanks!

Charisma
Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

i have tried a number of times to use varigated threads in my long arm---so far---no luck...i've tried in the top- with bobbin thread- i've tried in the bobbin- with solid on top- i've tried with both top and bottom----
so far i've not had any luck....i have seen some beautiful quilting with it--so someone knows some tricks....
here's to hoping!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 AM

I have an HQ Avante, and I've done 3 quilts with variegated top and bottom with no problems. I mostly use King Tut Thread. I have also used Coats and Clark, but probably won't buy it again.

Edited to say I use the TOWA gauge to adjust my bobbin thread tension, and try to use the needle recommended for the thread that I am using, according to the chart at Superior Threads.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Do you mean the way it looks or are you having tension problems when trying to use it in the bobbin? I love the tone on tone threads but have not had luck with the varigated thread. I have used it in both the top and bobbin and was able to get the stitches looking good but I just didn't like the look. Maybe if the fabric is very busy it would be better.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamamama
Do you mean the way it looks or are you having tension problems when trying to use it in the bobbin? I love the tone on tone threads but have not had luck with the varigated thread. I have used it in both the top and bobbin and was able to get the stitches looking good but I just didn't like the look. Maybe if the fabric is very busy it would be better.
I am having tension problems when I put it in the bobbin.

I actually have some tension issue when I put it in the top. I am wondering if it is the brand.

I have a few spools of king tut and I don't have problems with it in the top at all.....but I haven't tried it in the bobbin. I guess I will try that when I have time.

I have to agree with you a bit. I used to love it before I became a LAQ...now when I put it on a quilt..I kind of second guess it like it seems busy....but that could just be because I am not used to it...and I have to adjust.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM

I agree with you and bamamama, I think the tone on tone is prettier than all out varigated, at least with the quilts that I've made.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
Originally Posted by bamamama
I am having tension problems when I put it in the bobbin.

I actually have some tension issue when I put it in the top. I am wondering if it is the brand.

I have a few spools of king tut and I don't have problems with it in the top at all.....but I haven't tried it in the bobbin. I guess I will try that when I have time.

I have to agree with you a bit. I used to love it before I became a LAQ...now when I put it on a quilt..I kind of second guess it like it seems busy....but that could just be because I am not used to it...and I have to adjust.

Hmmm, interesting...I will be watching this post. I know a LAQ that uses varigated in her top and bobbin, stitching looked great, I believe she has a APQS.

**UPDATE - NOT APQS its an A-1
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebraK
I have an HQ Avante, and I've done 3 quilts with variegated top and bottom with no problems. I mostly use King Tut Thread. I have also used Coats and Clark, but probably won't buy it again.

Edited to say I use the TOWA gauge to adjust my bobbin thread tension, and try to use the needle recommended for the thread that I am using, according to the chart at Superior Threads.
Oh OK ....Yes..I changed my needle....that make it a bit better. I will keep playing with it..when I have spare time..LOL
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I don't LAQ - yet! LOL and I do use Superior and King Tut on my Janome. I find KT a bit heavy though at 40 wt. I recently 'discovered' a brand called Wonderfil that has a 50 wt variegated and having used 50 wt in the bobbin already, surely this would work OK though I haven't tried it yet. The line is Tutti and has beautiful colours and no lint to speak of - I'd say it's quality is comparable with Superior. http://www.wonderfilonline.com/index.php?cPath=21_35_53
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I don't LAQ - yet! LOL and I do use Superior and King Tut on my Janome. I find KT a bit heavy though at 40 wt. I recently 'discovered' a brand called Wonderfil that has a 50 wt variegated and having used 50 wt in the bobbin already, surely this would work OK though I haven't tried it yet. The line is Tutti and has beautiful colours and no lint to speak of - I'd say it's quality is comparable with Superior. http://www.wonderfilonline.com/index.php?cPath=21_35_53
I'm looking forward to trying some of the lighter threads. I think the bobbins would go longer between changes. They go fast using the King Tut.