Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh! First wholecloth and used variegated thread...are the quilt police on the way??!!

Does anyone know about the wool batting tho, I am thinking I would like to use the wool because of the warmth, but if it is to be pre washed or not, it is a good thing to know. Thanks guys in advance.

Rita

If you like wool batting, you are simply going to love silk or babmoo -- both are so softr and pliable and wonderful to work with, either by hand or machine.

And I forgot - both have the same warmth as wool.

I have always wanted to try bamboo, will have to get me some, but I am so not a quilter or sewer I have been waiting to use anything expensive until I learn how to quilt better. I swear I get worse instead of better.

Rita

Blog Entries
    Look at enough pictures of prize-winning quilts in shows, and you will see that some of the most beautiful are the ones that the quilter, usually the longarmer nowadays, used varigated thread on,
    such that the open areas of the quilting often out-do the areas of the piecing.

Varigated thread can be done in ways to yield real art.

And even if it is plain and simple quilting on the quilt, it always adds a nice converstional effect.

Blog Entries
    If you would like a sample of bamboo or wool batting, send me an email at [email protected] with your address and the sample type that you would like.

I want one!!!! Where did you get it? also- love the varigated thread idea!

I started with all natural cloth and natural thread at a quilt class, made it into a pillow and used it to death. Litterly it died a couple months ago. But they are now doing all kinds of colors, solid, varigated. Just depends on your choice of pattern and what YOU like.

Judy, you are not doing anything wrong. Even though I teased you and said that I would have to take your quilt for evidence, the fact of the matter is; many, many of the award winning and recognized wholecloth quilters use colored threads on their quilts. Especially if they are also doing some trapunto in it. Using a different colored thread shows more and can draw the eye to a certain section. The tradition of wholecloth dates back to a time before spooled treads were available. I could be wrong here but it seems to me like I was told many many (I'm old) years ago that the reason the first wholecloth quilts were made with the same color of tread is because the quilters would take peices of tread from the fabric to use for the quilting tread.

You go girl....

Hugs, Gail

I think that the variegated thread would look good on any quilt. I would sure help to blend in with the colors of the pieces. I may just have to try that next time. As long as its strong enough.

I would love to have seen the colored thread. It is different.
    If we all followed the "rules" we would never have new ideas, new quilt patterns or anything inovated.
    Stay out of that box.
    There are no rules when it comes to quilting.
    Just some thoughts from So. Cal. :-)

I would like to know about wool batting also.
    It might "felt", I would think, but I have done knitted felting and when the yarn is white, it doesn't felt as well.
    marla

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy in Waco
    I am learning to hand quilt, so I purchased a pre-printed mini wholecloth to practice on. I was having fun when I realized that all of the wholecloths I see are made with the same color thread. I bought some variegated (Carribean Sea) and I've been using that on natural wholecloth. How big of an oops is that? Will the quilt police show up soon? :) Thanks for all of your help.
    I think variegated sounds lovely. I wish I had thought of that.
    And Carribean Sea sounds beautiful!
    Let's see it when you've finished.

8-)

The variegated was useful because I was able to see clearly what I needed to work on. It helped me learn how to do the hand stitching. Then, I took it out because it DID show every little mistake even though the colors were gorgeous. I really love that variegated thread. I'm quilting it again in natural and it looks much better this time, even though it is a little boring to me. I LOVE color! So, when I get better, I will remember the variegated for future projects.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Just FYI, I did wash my wool batting and laid it out to dry (did not use the dryer). It did not smell at all.

Thanks again everyone. I have really enjoyed this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gail-r
    Yes, I am the quilt police! When you have you mini wholecloth conpletely finished, you are required to notify me with in 24 hours. Then I will come to your house and inspect the mini wholecloth sewn with varigated thread. Then I will have to confiscate the quilt. It will need to be held at my house for the rest of its life, as evidence of course.

Hugs, Gail
    ROFLMAO!!!!

Some of the most beautiful creations have come to life when some "quilter" broke the rules!!!!!!! And then some of the most gosh awful "screw ups" have happened to me when I did not "read the instructions".

Love your quilt Michelle - quilting is beautiful, presumably done by hand?

Judy
    I have never used the wool
    living it Texas I would think it would be to hot.

That's how new things come to be never worry about the quilt police what do they know.

I'm just out of the quilt police station, they told me that you can be accused of creativity, that your stitches will show much more and that as a novice quilter you may have some disciples that will follow your example. They're afraid to be overworked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt
    I'm just out of the quilt police station, they told me that you can be accused of creativity, that your stitches will show much more and that as a novice quilter you may have some disciples that will follow your example. They're afraid to be overworked!!!
    They busted you too, huh?

:thumbup:

bkb
    My quilt inspectors would not let the quilt police in my house!

Power Poster
    There really is no right or wrong. Just whatever makes you happy.

ok, will someone explain to the dummy what whole cloth is?

Quote Originally Posted by squeakie
    ok, will someone explain to the dummy what whole cloth is?
    That is not a dumb question. I didn't know either. It's one piece of cloth that is quilted, usually by hand. Let me find you an example...brb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast