Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Uh oh! First wholecloth and used variegated thread...are the quilt police on the way??!!

bkb
    page 2 of this thread has 2 examples one pic and one avatar

Blog Entries
    Gail, you are so funny,

Quote Originally Posted by gail-r
    Yes, I am the quilt police! When you have you mini wholecloth conpletely finished, you are required to notify me with in 24 hours. Then I will come to your house and inspect the mini wholecloth sewn with varigated thread. Then I will have to confiscate the quilt. It will need to be held at my house for the rest of its life, as evidence of course.

Hugs, Gail

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is yours to do with what and how you want. There is no wrong way as far as I am concerned. God bless. Penny PS ha I spelled everything right for a change. :)

No quilt police here. Would love to see the effect of variegated on wholecloth.

Am I dumb or just not getting it. Whole colth?
    Is that using one piece of fabric as the backing?

Wholecloth is using a whole piece of fabric for the front instead of cutting pieces.

Make your quilts however you want, it is yours and no police will show up.

Variegated thread on solid-color fabrics can be pretty. I think you would have liked the end result! I've used it on purple and it looks great!

I use varigated thread every chance I get. It looks great on wholecloth. As for the wool batting, I understand it needles beautifully as the wool contains lanolin. It shouldn't make you itch as it is in the sandwhich. The last quilt we raffled off at the senior center was a stack and slash that made stars out of bright primary colors. We sashed it in black and quilted it with varigated thread. It looked fantastic.

I want to see it when done, I think it would be wonderful!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Some quilts are made to show off the piecing, some to show off the color combinations, some to show off particular fabric choices, and so on. If you are like me, a sucker for variegated anything, a wholecloth quilt is just the ticket for showing off your thread choice. And, if those darned quilt police say anything, you just tell them they are out of their jurisdiction and keep on stitchin'.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I think if that's what you wanted to use it's fine. It might even add a whole new dimension to your quilt.

I got the wholecloth mini that was posted on here a while back and was wondering if pressing it would set the blue ink. Does anyone know? I've emailed the company and asked but no response so far. If it won't, I'm planning on using Prismacolor pencils on it before I quilt it.
    My understanding is that if you press it that will set the blue ink - so I would not press before washing it after being quilted.

As for the wool batting - I have heard a lot of good reviews about it, but I am allergic to wool so can not use it. On your thread use what ever you like, nothing wrong with variegated thread - would love to see it when done.

Please post a picture! I love the whole cloth quilts - would love to see it. It sounds great to me!

I love varigated thread. I can't wait to see it.

i cant wait to see pics of it i love verigated everything i have crocheted quite a few afghans and i always try to work around verigated i bought it for cross stitch i have a pic of pink lillys on my facebook page (angela kolczak-huebner)and now have gotten hooked on verigated sulky for machine try adding the blending filaments sooo pretty a witch to work with but looks beautiful in the end

Blog Entries
    There are no quiltzillas here!

I imagine it will be beautiful! make sure to post a pic!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4