Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole cloth quilts >

Whole cloth quilts

Whole cloth quilts

Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 PM

I am planning a whole cloth quilt for my niece's wedding gift. Have any of you designed one before? I made a smaller one, wall, or baby size and I want to make this one a queen size.

Do any of you have any tips? I have been collecting quilting motifs etc. I was thinking of a flower wreath in the center with diamond grid filler, and ' flower' fairies at 2 opposite corners, and related flowers, bough type in the other two corners. I am thinking I can't put the center medallion wreath in the center--probably lower since the pillows at the top knock the center point downwards.

I am new to this site, I have been quilting a very long time, and I am from Richmond, TX (close to Houston).
Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I've never done one but yours sounds like it will be beautiful.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 PM

we need to research this and get some help i have a book that may have some ideas i will look and get back to you

memathomas
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Thank you Memathomas!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 AM

hi, i found this site it has pictures the book just has the actual designs and what is a whole cloth quilts its called Amish quilt patterns and the other is sophisticated stitches

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_hi...wholecloth.htm

hope this helps also if you need placement help there is a program called Eq6 is like a digital design board i sometimes embroidery mine as if the square is the block then quilt around that

hope this helps
memathomas

p.s. i would lower the center design to allow for the pillows.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

I have done a few small ones, and I love hand quilting them. What a wonderful gift this will be.
Here is a company that has beautiful stencils. they also sell the Whole Cloth tops, already marked. I know it will be just beautiful what ever you decide to do.

http://quiltingstencils.com/index.aspx
Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 AM

My favorite book by far for inspiration and technique in wholecloth is Karen McTavish's Whitework Quilting. The quilts are amazing!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Here for your inspiration are a few pictures of traditional Welsh wholecloth quilts, from a shop in Wales that sells them. The owner has also published a book on Welsh quilts (not all of them wholecloth, but all stunningly quilted).
http://www.jen-jones.com/Solid%20thumbnails.htm

Here's another book on I liked. It has a lot of gorgeous pictures, projects and drawings of traditional wholecloth patterns.
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Welsh-Q...7370542&sr=8-1

Good luck with your quilt!! It will be wonderful. A dear friend of mine is a wholecloth quilter and I love that kind of work.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 AM

Thank you. I have to admit, I already have the Stencil Company bookmarked. When I started to layout a for a whole cloth quilt, I used a stencil for the grid background. I got all the way around the side and started finding it was off for the other side. Do you have any tips to prevent this from happening?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 AM

The Welsh quilts are beautiful. I saw a quote about antique welsh--do you think it means they are going to be antique or that they are? I thought with the colors that they may be current.