Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole cloth quilts >

Whole cloth quilts

Whole cloth quilts

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Roben
My favorite book by far for inspiration and technique in wholecloth is Karen McTavish's Whitework Quilting. The quilts are amazing!
I have been looking at Karen McTavish's site (HGTV has an instruction by McTavish on whole cloth quilts that is good.) It looks like I may have to buy it!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by memathomas
hi, i found this site it has pictures the book just has the actual designs and what is a whole cloth quilts its called Amish quilt patterns and the other is sophisticated stitches

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_hi...wholecloth.htm

hope this helps also if you need placement help there is a program called Eq6 is like a digital design board i sometimes embroidery mine as if the square is the block then quilt around that

hope this helps
memathomas

p.s. i would lower the center design to allow for the pillows.
Thank you. I thought it should be lowered too. I enjoy reading about our history. I volunteer/teach at our local museum. It is a museum that is geared toward the early settlers in Texas. (I live in Richmond, TX where the early settlers first came to get the land grants.) I've taken the spinning/weaving course so I could teach-but I haven't found I have a knack for spinning. I teach chores(and archeology)--sounds dull, but you would be amazed at how many things we do today has nothing to do with what our ancestors knew how to do.

The Womenfolk page seems to be right in there with what the pioneers knew. Thank you for sharing. In clicking a bunch of places I came to HGTV and Karen McTavish teaching about setting up to make a whole cloth quilt. Wish DIY and HGTV had kept Simply Quilts and the good programs they used to have. Now it is just about interior decorating and do it your self fixerups for your home.