Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I need a serger?

Blog Entries

Red face Why do I need a serger?

A friend recently commented that she was surprised that I don't have a serger. That got me thinking do I need one. Why would I need one? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Why? Just because! I highly recommend the Babylock. Easiest serger to thread.

Blog Entries
    A serger is really nice to have *if* you sew clothing (especially knits) and/or lots of draperies and curtains. It's not particularly useful for quilting, although it is possible to make a serged quilt. I made one that way, but did not like the extra bulk in the seams.

I used to use mine for making garments, but now that I only qult, I use it for making napkins, receiving blankets, fabric postcards, and window treatments on occasion. I have serged around the edges of a quilt before binding it, and I once constructed an entire quilt of flannel from my three sons "boxer" fabric leftovers!!! They are nice to have!
    psumom

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I do not have one and I have occasionally thought about getting one. I have never really come up with enough reasons to spend the money for one. I will be interested in the reasons here to have a serger.

Blog Entries
    I gave mine away.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I went through a short period when I wondered whether I needed a serger. Then I started looking at them and realized that the cheaper ones would not do most of what I thought I wanted to do. I decided not to get one and haven't missed it at all. On the other hand, my neighbor has a serger but no sewing machine. She bought the serger to make curtains, and she doesn't do any other sewing.

I got my first serger 25 years ago. I love my serger. That being said, I have never used my serger for quilting. I sew a lot of clothing for myself, my kids and my grandkids and would not consider sewing garments without a serger. I have also used my serger for many home dec. projects like curtains, tablecloths, napkins etc.

About the only time I use my serger for anything quilting related would be to finish the raw ends of fabrics if I decide to prewash them.

I guess to answer the question of whether you need one or not would depend on what kind of sewing you do.

I am on my second serger and would really like to have a Babylock but I do a lot of garment sewing. Using them for curtains confuses me. Seems a waste of thread. I would not buy one if all I did was quilt.

Blog Entries
    i've never used my serger for quilting
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast