Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I need a serger? >

Why do I need a serger?

Why do I need a serger?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 AM

I have a serger and never use it. I probably will donate it to our high school's sewing program.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM

A serger is nice to have, but, no, it's not strictly neccesary. I am planning on making some baby quilts using a serger when I can. I found a video on The Quilt Show website that I thought would be interesting to try. It makes a reversible quilt that looks very easy and sturdy for a baby blanket. If you want to watch the video, it's under the Bernina video's icon on The Quilting Show.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 PM

It might be a case of not needing it but using one and deciding you like it and it helps with your quilting and sewing. Most machines do the binding stitch that sergers do but don't cut off the fabric, but I think a serger makes a lot of other stuff easier. It makes nice finished seams and rolled hems and is great for sewing a flannel quilt so it won't fray away. I think it is up to you if you need one or just want one.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

i've been sewing for 42 years & still have never used a serger- i don't know any reason you would need one- some people really like them- if you are interested maybe you could try one out somewhere & see if it's something you might find a good thing to have around- i actually bought one once- watched the video that came with it- i think my daughter actually threaded it & used it once- then it sat in it's case under a bench for a couple years & i finally sold it- i really had no use for it- my sewing machine does anything i need it to-
i know...they finish edges- i learned to finish edges on an old singer many years ago in 4-H sewing
i know they cut too...so does my rotory cutter & scissors...i know they are great with knits.,..how many knits do you use in your quilting? me- not many-
something i've had no problem living without all these years...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 AM

I just bought a Serger because I make garments as well as quilt. I'm most anxious to use the roll hem feature to make silky scarves for gifts and make napkins for myself.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I use it to overcast the raw edges of fabrics before washing them.

It's great for finishing the raw edges of bags and purses.

I still do some 'sewing' - and I use it for finishing raw edges of things.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM

I received my serger as a gift from my husband a couple of years ago. I was determined to learn to use it and have done so with the help of a very knowledgeable dealer who knows every aspect of sewing and quilting. I don't know what I'd do without it.

However, one difference I see with all the other commenters is that I have wanted to learn (and am learning) sewing of garments. I didn't learn to sew as a youngster, but have now developed a desire now that I am in my sixties.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Oh, do we need a reason to buy anything that relates to sewing and quilting? Kidding of course. I use my serger for other sewing projects.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Sergers are great for garment sewing. But a simple 3 or 4 thread model will do. Don't let them talk you into unnecessary bells and whistles unless it is a feature you will use. I had a 3 thread Baby Lock that I gave to my daughter. My mother passed away and I have her 4 thread White. I am equally happy whith it. Watch for used or buy refurbished from dealer.