Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why does the cotton thread myth continue? >

Why does the cotton thread myth continue?

Why does the cotton thread myth continue?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Default Why does the cotton thread myth continue?

There's been many a discussion on these boards about cotton vs polyester thread for use in both piecing and quilting. The general verdict was: it doesn't matter. In fact, this video explains why (and is often posted here when the question is asked): http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...yester-thread/

So why then do even the newer quilting books - like Quilter's Academy which I've just started working my way through - still insist on cotton thread? There's an entire section about threads, where weight and ply are discussed, and then the authors end with "Be sure that you always use 100% cotton thread in your quilts"! Add to that the fact that in the machine quilting book by the same author (Harriet Hargrave) she encourages the use of nylon (invisible) thread to quilt, why the need for cotton for the piecing? I just don't get this perpetuation of the "100% cotton thread" myth.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 AM

I like cotton thread because I set my iron on Linen which is the hottest setting and sometimes I have to really press a seam open. Like as in, putting the iron on it, and letting it sit for several seconds. I am always afraid that I might melt the polyester thread if I do that. In my opinion, cotton does take a hotter iron without issues. Also, a lot of quilting I do is from kits. I don't always have any extra fabric to replace a piece that may get messed up.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:03 AM

When I think of invisible thread I think of cheap worn bedspreads with broken pieces of monofilament "fishing line" broken & sticking out & poking you all over.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 AM
Administrator

i use cotton thread because it seems easier to work with.
(as in ... easier to take out when i need to unstitch. LOL)

i know plenty of quilters who use only polyester thread.
they're quite happy with the results.

to each her own.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 AM

The new invisible threads are much softer and more pliable than the old fishing line.........I think thread type/usage, like prewash or not, glue/pins, etc., are all personal choices and some are even new discoveries, so to speak.....I do not have the book referred to, but if I question something I read, I contact the author and ask for reason why statement was made, or source of that information. I have the same issue, personally, with using muslin on backs of quilts....my preference.and recently read an article in a current mag about how "cheap" muslin is and she definitely does not recommend....I have an issue with that statement and I shall contact her with my opinion. Like all things we read/ hear/see......believe half.....
Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
When I think of invisible thread I think of cheap worn bedspreads with broken pieces of monofilament "fishing line" broken & sticking out & poking you all over.
Me too, have slept under those poking 'comforters'!

and I have never met a monofilament - plastic or old nylon - that I liked for my quilts. So shiny, not flexible enough.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 AM

HH uses a very specific nylon thread for applique . It comes out looking like it was sewed on by hand (I have her book and took her class and done that technique). That specific thread she uses is not at all like fishing line. I would think the date of those books makes a difference. When I took her class, it was in the 90's. I've actually taken a hiatus from quilting and just got back into it about 2 years ago. And guess what? The thread is completely different! Aurifil quilts and sews like a dream! So know that books take a year or more to get to print and that you are more than likely reading old information.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM

You never know why some well known quilters recommend one brand over another. This business can be very political and some quilters have financial interests in the brands they condone. HH is a great teacher and quilter but is an example of promoting brands because of her personal preferences. When she visited our guild she was really adamant about a couple of brands but also pretty vocal about her dislikes. And not in a nice way.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM

I like using cotton thread because I always set my seams, and the cotton thread just seems to shrink into the fabric, making for flatter seams.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Same here! I think of all that work for nothing. Nothing woes than a do over.
Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post