Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why I wash my fabrics before cutting them. >
  • Why I wash my fabrics before cutting them.

• Why I wash my fabrics before cutting them.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM
    Power Poster

Hey Gale....I've used them unwashed for small wall hangings that probably won't be washed. If I use precuts in a quilt...I gently swish them in the sink. I've only used jelly rolls a few times and only used charms once. Its generally just FQ's anyway. You have to be careful due to shrinkage...they can become unusable.

Originally Posted by gale
    So do those of you that always prewash never use precuts or do you wash those too? If you do wash them, how do you keep them from getting all frayed and out of shape?
    Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 AM

I also prewash my fabrics. I make a lot of baby quilts and pillowcases for kids in hospitals and feel the finishing on fabrics could be harmful to them, plus prewashing takes care of the shrinkage and throwing in a Colorcatcher takes care of the excess dyes. I also like the flat finish look of quilts and use a good poly batting or when using 80/20 batting I presoak it to shrink it. I know most of my quilts will be tossed into the washer and dryer and the steps I take keeps the quilt looking flat, not puckered.

Funny aside, I made a quilt with 1930's repros and wanted it to look puckered so I didn't prewash fabrics and used all cotton batting. Wouldn't you know the quilt hardly shrunk at all, LOL! May in Jersey