Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why I wash my fabrics before cutting them.

I swear one time I was reading a blog and she mentioned that she used color catchers with certain loads of laundry. well she for whatever reason had a (unused) baby wipe on the dryer it had dried out and looked JUST like a color catcher. She grabbed it thinking that it WAS a color catcher and it worked just the same. I keep meaning to let a couple baby wipes dry out and throw them in a load of blue jeans but I always forget. Grrrr. and I just washed a new red shirt for the first time too! If this indeed does work it would be SOOOOOOOOOO much cheaper.

I wash everything, especially reds and batiks. It's a lot of trouble, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

I generally don't fool with ironing until I'm ready to use the fabric. I just neatly fold the washed & dried fabric up and put it in my stash cabinets. It gets a little wrinkled from being folded, so it doesn't really make sense for me to iron it twice. :) (And I hate ironing! :lol: )

Blog Entries
    So do those of you that always prewash never use precuts or do you wash those too? If you do wash them, how do you keep them from getting all frayed and out of shape?

Dear No Longer Alone. I'll admit I usually don't because I'm lazy. I have yet to have a problem. I do teach and do tell my students to prewash their fabric. So what does that make me? A lazy teacher, a do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do teacher?? LOL I do use a color catcher when I wash my quilts.
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    Guess I am the Lone Ranger never wash fabrics. Seems a waster of time and money for me. I have never had much shrinkage and never had bleeding. When I wash my quilts (seldom) I use a Color Catcher. The only bad thing is it prevents me from doing swaps, because most of them want washed fabrics.
    LOL Neither do I.
    Reasons I do not prewash fabric....
    1. I am lazy.
    2. I have to much other laundry to do, fabric would never make it to the wash, leaving me with nothing to sew.
    3. I am lazy.
    4. I don't care about staph infection.
    5. I am lazy.
    6. I never remember to take it out of the dryer while damp.
    7. I am lazy.
    8. I hate ironing out, what seems to be, permament wrinkles due to reason 6.
    9. I am lazy.
    10. Just because it is worth repeating. I am lazy!

Washed or unwashed I think the bottom line is the fabric will still make a beautiful quilt!

P.S. I did the recent strip swap (first fabric swap) and bought fabric just for it. I washed it and I think it will be the last time I do a fabric swap! I like scrapbook swaps. No washing required. However, I understand why some people need the fabric prewashed.
    I didn't want anyone that participated in that swap thinking my fabic was unsanitary!

I ALWAYS pre wash! My friend doesn't and her methond works for her. I just can't stand not washing my fabric.

Blog Entries
    Hey Gale....I've used them unwashed for small wall hangings that probably won't be washed. If I use precuts in a quilt...I gently swish them in the sink. I've only used jelly rolls a few times and only used charms once. Its generally just FQ's anyway. You have to be careful due to shrinkage...they can become unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    So do those of you that always prewash never use precuts or do you wash those too? If you do wash them, how do you keep them from getting all frayed and out of shape?

I also prewash my fabrics. I make a lot of baby quilts and pillowcases for kids in hospitals and feel the finishing on fabrics could be harmful to them, plus prewashing takes care of the shrinkage and throwing in a Colorcatcher takes care of the excess dyes. I also like the flat finish look of quilts and use a good poly batting or when using 80/20 batting I presoak it to shrink it. I know most of my quilts will be tossed into the washer and dryer and the steps I take keeps the quilt looking flat, not puckered.

Funny aside, I made a quilt with 1930's repros and wanted it to look puckered so I didn't prewash fabrics and used all cotton batting. Wouldn't you know the quilt hardly shrunk at all, LOL! May in Jersey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2